HybridZ

Front oil seal leak. Diff shop wants out off car.

brianZortiz

Hello hybridz, I have a leaking oil seal in front pinion. I called my local diff shop and they said they don't like to work on z cars (s30 specifically) because the driveshaft might be seized up due to a straight shaft to diff where there is no movement on u joints. A small conversation lasting a minute or so, but he said he can replace my oil seal. He wants the diff out of the car in order to fix it. Question is it even possible for the u-joint on driveshaft to seize up on s30z?

Edited by brianZortiz

Huh? I would look into a different shop. The driveshaft on Z cars is just like any other car, slip yoke in the transmission, 2 u-joints. Don't know what he is talking about being seized up. Any reputable shop should be able to do a pinion seal, its not a diff specific job. I worked at a firestone a couple summers ago and the techs there did several pinion seals while I was there. Call around to some other shops

-Will

Yah, I've had my differential serviced at same shop. I will take it somewhere else, but I've never heard of a ujoint seized in an s30z car. Thanks. Maybe he was loading a pile on me but said s30z are a headache with problems arising everywhere. The work done before was did out the car, work was good.

I have 7 used differentials on my shelf-none of the front seals have leaked. Might be just as easy for you to buy one of the used diffs advertised on the forum and just swap'em. Anybody know if you can remove and replace the seal with diff in car, or do you have to press out pinion?

I would remove the diff and consider taking it to another diff shop. BTW I have never seen a tailshaft seize up that bad that you cant get it out. Something like that could happen if you left a car standing 20 years, but still unlikly.