HybridZ

GM T5 Driveshaft length for SBC

HarveyZ

I have searched and searched and cant seem to find an exact length. Car is an early 74 260z, 2 seater. I currently have a 400 small block with a short tailshaft 350turbo. I bought a GM T5 transmission to install and am planning on getting the driveshaft shortened as the one in it now is way too long. Cant seem to find the length it should be on the internet anywhere... any help would be great, thanks guys!!

Edited by HarveyZ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have a custom made driveshaft with new 1310 joints and the right adapter for the diff if you need. Its just missing the T5 yoke. Order up a T5 yoke. Measure from bellhousing to output shaft flange on current trans then measure T5. Subtract the two. Measure distance of current shaft center on center at U joints on drive shaft body, subtract length difference between transmissions from length of shaft.

Google Video search:

You don't have to remove the front yoke on the drive shaft as shown in the video to do this measurement. You will need to have the differential pinion yoke in place to measure.

Take measurement to driveline shop and have the driveshaft  cut and balanced.

Do more Goggle search if this is not clear.