HybridZ

Sharring pics of my new 17" wheels & flares installed, more to do, but its mocked-up

Hey all,

Thought I’d share my new wheels and flares partially installed, still have to make the final body cuts, bending and welding, but it’s a step closer.

My brother and I have spent time on this project over the last 6 years and I drove it around the block the other day. All I can say, is wow, it’s a completely different car now, I orginaly saved this car from "DRAG RACE HELL", now it feels more like a raod racing Corvette or BMW, its solid adn responsive, of course I havent had it over 40mph yet so who knows....hehehehhe

Here's a little of what I've done for reference:

1" 280Z master cylinder

Koni's all around

Camber plates all around

Willwood 6 piston calipers up front

Infinity Q45 disc conversion from TTT in rear

TTT rear suspension

R230 VLSD differential

TANK axles (39 spline)

Coil-overs

325lbs hypercoils in front

300lbs hypercoils in the rear

17x10 wheels up front with 255mm nittos (going to 275mm eventually (got a smoking deal on the 255mm for now)

17X11 wheels in the rear with 315mm nittos

350 Chevy mild cam, sportsman heads, single plane, holley 750 DP with 4 corner idle circuit, 50cc pumps

T56 6 speed tranny

Momo steering wheel, with NRG quick release

Dash mounted rear brake proportion valve control

New steering rack

Suspension Techniques sway bars

Left to do:

383 stroker upgrade

ProCharger install

Dual exhaust

Fuel Cell

8-10 point cage

Race dash with gauges

Race seats

MSA Type 3 front air dam

MSA victory rear spoiler

Sand

Prime

Paint

Maybe before I die or my business comsumes me, anyhow I appreciate everyone sharing their projects, its my turn.

Also, if your in the Bay Area and you have a Z with flares installed, Id love to check it out.

One final note, the pic of the rear of the car is a little deceving, my driveway slopes up and I put the camera on the ground so it make the car look really high, in reality its 1.5" lower than stock.

post-1617-0-84325400-1365311235_thumb.jpg

Edited by snarpee

ZT-R,

Using the super ZG flares there would seem to be enought clearance in the rear for your 335. However you better make sure your back spacing is dead nuts on and get is as close to your coil overs and frame as possible, in addition it will be dam close and your going to have to trim the body. I cut 3" out of mine, It kille me to do it, the car has a decent paint job and everything, never the less, I too a grinder to it.

Also, in response to your desire to put 335's out back, thats cool, that was my original plan too, but after looking at the cost of 335's compared to 315's I went with the 315's knowing that out Z cars have rear toe in and - camber, means were gona be buying rubber more often that you would with a fixed axle car.

Edited by snarpee

roger280zx

Yep, they ate Team III wheels, Im very luck they are located about 45 miles away from me, so I went there and spoke with the owner and we got everything figured out to ensue they would fit. I know I would have to cut the car, I also knew that once I handed over my cash and they were custom made for me, Id never see my cash again, even if I screwed up some of the dimensions. Kinda hard to return custome fabricated wheels make to your specs. So I purposly pushed the wheels out 1/4" more that I really needed just to make sure they didnt hit the coil overs or the inner fender (its close right behind the driver seat to inner fender area). In reality I could have saved the 1/4" but my 2,500$ wheels fit.

I went with 17x11 in the rear with 5.5" back spacing, the front are 17x10 (had to be custom made, not in their catalog) with 5.5" back spacing. Since I set all the back spacing at 5.5", my plan B (should disaster strike) was to put the fronts in the rear, then buy 9" width for the front. That way at least 2 of teh 4 wheels would fit the car and I wouldnt be out 4 custom made wheels.

Also, just a quick FYI... The owner (I forget his name, want to say its Steve), is a really great guy, his shop does great work, in fact he let me borrow a 17X11 with a 315 already mounted on it to use for my mock up, who does that these days. Im not saying he would do it again, but he did it for me and that really helped me figure out the back spacing etc.... and be somewhat confident in my dimensions before I dropped the cash. Id highly recommend there wheels to anyone looking for that vintage look with lots of options for larger more modern tires.

That's quite the endorsement.  I think the only thing keeping me on the fence at the moment is the lack of a 17x12.5.  Though it is complete overkill I, like you, only want to buy my custom wheels once.  I recon the 315 will just have to do, as I think I can get a set of those for around $1560, and anything else will be more like $2500.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks amazing.. Im on the hunt for a 4 lug 17x11rear wheel that will give me some good lip yet still tuck that tire as far inside the fender well as possible.

Edited by CrayZ