HybridZ

What is this from?

I'm hoping that the details (low oil pressure, fuel smell) can point me in the right direction. I'm aware that it is the drain plug and there are metal shavings present. I was hoping someone has seen something like this before and may have suggestions

If you smell fuel in your oil then the car is running rich , any DTC ? Is this the first time you see this ? Normally , you will see some when doing oil change ( with mag. drain plug ) . Large chunks is when you need to worry . LOL . LS motors have problem with oil pick up tube o-rings not sealing ( suck air ) .

Yeah I've heard of the oil pickup tube issue before. I had a feeling she's been running rich but not way to tell just yet (no AF guage) this is the first time I've seen this on the bolt. Althought this is only the second oil change I've done on it. A guy from ls1tech thought it might be an graphite lubricant alot of engine builders use but I don't see why it would magically appear this time around

Any idea what the bearing are made of? Someone mentioned that the fact that the material was magnetic I didn't have to worry about the pistons or bearings.. Not sure that makes any sense to me. I'm pretty sure the bearings and pistons are made of magnetic materials

Bearings are made of brass and some kind of coating , i think . What you found could be a lot of things , timing chain and sprockets , rings , cylinder walls anything that's made out of metal/iron . Like i said , i see it all the times . Unless you see big flakes or chunks , i wouldn't worry about it . Is the motor knocking or making strange noises ?

Bearings are made of brass and some kind of coating , i think . What you found could be a lot of things , timing chain and sprockets , rings , cylinder walls anything that's made out of metal/iron . Like i said , i see it all the times . Unless you see big flakes or chunks , i wouldn't worry about it . Is the motor knocking or making strange noises ?

Nope, I've heard the same thing from alot of other people about this being common. I've just never seen it myself so I freaked out. Alot of the bearings I deal with at work are made from steel so I just assumed most where the same. Only small parts of them are brass. Thanks for help Domsz

Trimetallic on a steel back shell. No brass journal bearings.

Metallic particles occur when you spin abeaing and it finely grinds the cast iron in the block saddle away...

Or the rod journal...

Etc.

The other parts of the bearing (Sn, Cu, etc...) show in oil analysis long before you get ferrous deposition on the drain plug.