HybridZ

Finally up and running again

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

I finally stopped procrastinating and got the Z back on the road tonight.

It turned out that I didn't blow headgasket, but instead I broke a piston ring land again.

Overrevs to 7600 RPM kill stock cast pistons.

Once I went to the higher 11.6:1 compression ratio last month I kept spinning 2nd gear wildly and had to let off the gas, but one dragstrip run I decided to keep the hammer down with the engine turning way over redline for at least 3 to 4 seconds and that is how I toasted it.

Anyway, hopefully I can manage to keep it together for more than 3 weeks this time!! LOL

No racing until spring, so maybe that might help! hehe

Now that the engine is fixed, I get to take the tranny back down again since I toasted the 2nd gear synchronizer on that same run as well!!

I'm telling ya, one of these days I'm just gonna get a V8 and a Muncie Rock Crusher tranny so that I can stay inside my Z car more than under the Z car!! LOL

Later,norm

"I'm telling ya, one of these days I'm just gonna get a V8 and a Muncie Rock Crusher tranny so that I can stay inside my Z car more than under the Z car!! "

Forget it Norm, it's just as bad under a V8. Go ahead and ask me how many times I went to the track last year. Zilch!!! Hopefully that will all be resolved really soon. Getting the transmission back hopefully over the holidays. It's 10 seconds or bust come this summer!!!

Glad to hear it wasn't a head gasket... sorry to hear it was a ring land. How did she run at the strip with the upped compression? I've currently got you down as 12.88 at 105. Not sure if you've bested that yet. Let me know if you have.

-Andy

11:6?..What head/block are you using?..

I think I'm running 10.75:1 in mine...she very picky about ignition timing..Also left the stock clutch in it....slips real good hitting hard 1-2 shifts...I think the 2+2 flwheel/clutch should do the trick...best 0-60 in it was 6.27 not long after rebuild...after tweaking the airflow meter...now all the stock FI electronics are gone and replaced with Haltech...waiting to put in a MSD part to get her back on the road...I cant wait icon_biggrin.gif

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey Andrew, I never made it to the 1/4 mile track with the new setup yet, so I am still holding at 12.88 @ 105.8 mph.

That's bad news about V8 breakage! I guess I would spend all my time at the rear end of the car with one of those bad boys!! LOL

Scottie, I'll let you carry the Turbo honors!! Too many guys are way to fast for me to be competitive in that specialty.

Hey Cruez, I am running a Diesel crank with stock hand shaved 280Z pistons and rods and a .070" shaved N42 head. When you shave a N42 that much it changes it into a closed chamber design with good quench characteristics for help in keeping detonation at bay.

LAter,norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey Cruez,it looks like we are neighbors.

I run at Shadyside dragstrip south of Shelby sometimes. I am about an hour from Shelby.

LAter,norm

Scottie, I'll let you carry the Turbo honors!! Too many guys are way to fast for me to be competitive in that specialty.

Well Norm,

depends on how you look at it. I think one should always shoot to be faster, not the fastest, because as the old adage goes, someone is always faster. Keeping up with the "Joneses" ,pun intended, Ron icon_biggrin.gif , is EXPENSIVE. As light as your Z is, a mild 320hp turbo setup puts you in the mid-11s and with your mechanical and driving skill, piece of cake. Think that is not fast enough? Look in Andy's chart and see how many of us are quicker and what we are running to do it.

Think of the fun you will have venturing into new ground.

davys right, youre the man that shows us all that the straight six can haul booty when set up right, all motor is your claim to fame anyway, but that rockcrusher v8 thing would always be nice, but i dont think you should do it to the 12 second car though, should pick up a nice shell and 8 it. can i get some 12secondSUdude rubber please???

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Ok...When I get rich ,I'll just get another old Z and throw a V8 in it!! hehe

BTW, I got the tranny problem fixed today. As I expected the 2nd gear synchronizer broke in two so that was the reason for the grindage.

I threw another 5 speed in that I had laying around in the garage. I took it out of a Diesel Maxima and it had great looking gears and synchros with minimal wear. The old girl is running and shifting good now but the rear is making some funky sounds when coasting so it looks like that might be my next project!

LAter,norm

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Ah man, I'd be real gentle with your car.......right up to the part where I would pull it out of the driveway and dump the clutch at 6000 rpm!! LOL

Hey, BTW I have a Turbo car also now. I picked up an old nice 4 door 323 GT for my wife last month. I already took it to the strip and it turned a 10.05 @ 70.2 mph which is pretty good for an old stock car!

So far I haven't blown it up ,but that be because my wife hides the keys from me now so that I can't drive it!! LOL

Later,norm

Norm you are the king of n/a performance L6's everyone with a n/a L6 looks up to you, i even do and i'm a turbo guy. icon_smile.gif I say keep it up you are doing an amazing job.Andrew when you go to the track i wanna go to just let me know where and when and i'm there provided my engine is done by then icon_biggrin.gif