HybridZ

RRR ANGER GO`S A LONG WAYS

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous
icon_mad.gif i guess i have one thing to say to yall iv been building chevy small block v8`s my hole life i DONT HAVE ANY DYNO testing so i was only asking if i would LOSE HP doing this i wasent asking if i could do this because i know i can iv dun it before and about 327 pistons umm it allready has 350 pistons bored 40 over why would i even think about puting a 327 piston in it??? haha ok if this is the kind of wrong info you give i guess im better of asking a FORD tech he could tell me more than some of you have to the others thanx for the info and mike sorry about what was sead it just piss`s me off when i ask one question and git a answer to somthing i never asked!! thanx icon_rolleyes.gif

Did miss something? Where did this come from?

I dunno' what the original question was bu putting 327 pistons in a 350 would presumably go with a shorter stroke moor. Why do that? Umm, lot's more RPM potential comes to mind. Sometimes a broader more useful RPM range has benefits.

For instance - you dyno a 350 at 700HP a 327 at 600HP. Take them to the track and the 327 spanks the 350. Why? Because maybe the 327 made more power under the broader curve than the 350 made in it's shorter curve. Yeah, that's a quicky example leaving lot's of potential things out but you get the idea. If someone sugested a shorter stroke setup this might be the sort of thing they had in mind....

Threads here wander, people throw out whacky ideas trying to be helpful. If that makes you angry then perhaps you don't understand that they're trying to help. You get what you pay for and if someone trying to be helpful isn't what you want to hear then perhaps paying the local machine shop to answer the question or someone like Lingenfelter would yield more accurate results? icon_rolleyes.gif

I think this was the original question under the title "Strokin a 350"

"tell me would i be better off with stock crank and push rods or should i swap them for the 305 crank and push rods i have???? i know i will git more RPM out of the 305 crank but wont i lose torqu??? just wondering"

-------

(Response from) LONG ROD327 Z

" Some cast, 2.45" main journal, 3.48" stroke, two piece cranks have the same casting #(3932442) but are balanced differently. Cast cranks used on 267,305, and 350 motors should not be interchanged from one engine size to another because of possible balancing problems, even though they have the same stroke and will physically interchange in medium journal blocks." Ed Staffel, Small Block Chevy parts interchange manual. I also don't see how pushrods are involved, maybe connecting rods? I hope I was able to help.

-----------

(Response from) Peternell

"Short stroke = higher revs, higher POINT at which peak HP and Torque are made

Long stroke = lower revs to make HP and Torque, lower RPM of peak Torque

I know I'm missing some here but:

engnes with 3.00" stroke are 265, 283 and 302; 3.25" stroke are 307 and 327; 3.48" stroke are 305 and 350 and 3.75 stroke is the 400.

4" bore engines are 302, 327 and 350.

If you want R's put a LJ 327 crank or a 307 crank in a 4-bolt 350. If you want torque put a 400 crank in a 350 block (383) but don't waste your money (regardless of magizine articles) by putting a 400 crank in the 305 block (335)

Longer rods (connecting not push rods, right?) have advantages depending on desired results, but I'll let an expert touch on that."

I guess I should have left out the details and just posted that the 305 and 350 have the SAME stroke! I assumed it was understood that changes in stroke and or rod length effect compression/pin height.

--------

(Another response from )LONG ROD327 Z

"Peternell is right. (THANKS LONG ROD) More rev's, less stroke and vice versa. The long rod versus short rod is a long, complicated theory. Long rods fool the cylinder head into thinking that it is bigger than it is by having better cylinder fill and more dwell time at TDC and BDC giving you more airflow potential. Yet, there is a large group that likes to use short rods for different rpm ranges and cylinder head choice. I read an article in Circle Track a ways back and they were comparing engines for restrictor plate use and Martinsville( a very short corner with relatively long straights and 9000+ rpm engine speeds) Under anonymity(?) some engine used long 6.00+ rods and some used short 5.4 or less rods, in both kinds of engines. Another way to look at is to figure out rod ratio. This can be found by dividing the rod length by the stroke. i.e.: 6.00" rod, 3.00" stroke equals a ratio of 2:1. 5.7" rod, 3.48" stroke equals a 1:64.1. The first combination will rev higher and cause less stress to the rotating assembly. Smoky Yunick says it best..."use the longest damn rod you can fit in the engine!!" More on this later, I've got more reading to do..."

-------

(Response from) Davy Z

Larry and Jason just gave you the correct advice (THANKS DAVY) --you can make a good informed decision based on that....."

Guest Anonymous

I just read some of you old posts from a different topic and I am done trying to help you. This is the first time and hopefully the last time I have to turn my back on a fellow Hybridz member. Mikekelly already took care of it. Also, it's real easy to cast dispersions over the computer. I would love to hear you TALK like that anywhere near a wrestling mat or a boxing ring. Let me tell you, being humiliated by a 170lb. guy sucks, Think about it next time. Thank you Mike and I'm trying to be cordial and nice. Sorry I don't have more control but that was a kick in the nuts... We have no place at Hybridz for this kind of childish crap. I officially am asking for possible expulsion for Mr. 82Racecar. Oh yeah, someday I will stomp all over this guys project with my Hybridz influenced and engineered 240! Keep it on the track. Again, I apoligize MIke and Pete... icon_sad.gif

HEY, the 'angry' face is only for SPECIAL occasions, not because you don't understand what this forum's mission is. LOL. You can justifiably use that symbol when, say, you get your stellar engine built (no problem for 82racecar I'm sure) and it overheats or something of the like. Just my $.02.

Patrick

Guest Anonymous

look what i did was wrong and im sorry if you cant axept that that shows how simple minded you are but i will still say what he sead made it sound like i was dumb or trying to tell me i cant do somthing i have dun .... im trueily sorry for what i sead thank you mike for giving me another chance and if any one can answer the question i asked thank you other wise for now i have no questions

82racecar,

Take a look at the post that you made at the top of this thread. I'm not the only one that thinks your attitude was out of line. In my opinion, you need to learn how to eat a bit of crow. You made a mistake by saying "crank" instead of "cam" your initial post on the STROKIN A 350 thread. No biggie.

All Larry, Jason, Davy, and Terry were doing in response to your initial post in STROKIN A 350 was trying to answer a question they thought you had. You said crank (and meant cam - easy mistake to make) and they answered the CRANK question. They gave you WAY more info than any one would expect if you HAD wanted to know about the CRANK swap.

NONE of their info was wrong.

Now you come back and throw darts calling people simple minded. I don't get it.

I'm willing to give you another chance, but if you can't show some humility, there's not much chance you'll be accepted here and get much help. I think you took the initial posts in reply to your first question in the other thread WAY too personally.

Anyway, as a show of good faith, I'll try to answer your question as best as I understand what it is - CAMS and PUSHRODS:

Pushrods will be the same, AFAIK.

I'd bet that the same cam was used in the 305 and 350 if they are of the same medium HP configurations from Chevy. Chevy used the same cam in many different sized small blocks. I'd say if you can find part numbers on them both compare, or use a caliper to measue the lobe heights. Other than that, try to find specs on the 305 and 350 that you have and hunt down the PN for the cams at the Chevy dealer to see if they are different. They can probably get you the cam specs as well.

BTW, a .040" over 327 piston will fit in a .040" over 350 block. Both engines have the same standard 4.000" bore. You just need different rods and/or a different stroke crank to get the deck heights to work out.

Face it - you made an honest mistake (typed crank instead of cam) got info you didn't want because of it, and instead of saying "oh, I'm sorry, I meant cam" you flamed the guys for helping you.

You owe us all an apology. The only person who did anything wrong was YOU.

Clean it up. ONE MORE set of remarks like your last and you WILL be history.

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Pete said it well. 82Racecar, bottom line is that you pissed these guys off and then you come back and make more antagonistic remarks. You have posted very few questions here on our board which tells me you are new to the board. Go to the "Announcments" section and read my "Please Read***" post. You broke several of the rules in this thread alone. THESE GUYS ARE HERE TO HELP. I don't know if you have built motors before or not, but the bottom line, and this goes for EVERYONE READING THIS SITE, there is A TON of technical help here for all to enjoy IF YOU BEHAVE YOURSELVES. If you can't understand what was posted in that note, ask me off line and I will be more specific.

As for you 82Racecar, consider this your final warning. I want you to be a part of the family, but STOP KICKING YOUR BROTHERS UNDER THE TABLE! Now GO TO YOUR ROOM!

I'm done.

Mike "The baby Sitter" icon_rolleyes.gif

Guest Anonymous
icon_sad.gif no now you guys are wrong i sead crank and ment crank and i axadentily sead cam then corrected my selfe the point that made me mad about this hole thing was some one telling me that i cant do somthing i have dun in the past. that was my only point i linked sevrail z friends to the sight and they read the hole thing all 3 of them told me i was wrong but that yall did take it a little simple minded and that my question was never answred wich my question WAS WOULD I GIT BETTER PRFORMANCE OUT OF MY 350 BY SWAPING IN 305 CRANK AND PUSH RODES how did we git on to me swaping 327 pistons into my 350 for one that has nohing to do with my question for 2 if you know your motors this is not possable in a 350 bored 40 over the 327 piston would fall all the way throught the bore.. and i never mentiond a 327 EVER i was asking about a 305 crank not a 327 crank and people saying there guna hold this agenst me and shiz well you can do that but im not guna hold any thing agents yall for never answering the question i asked a long time ago icon_confused.gif

Guest Anonymous

oh and nun of this info was wrong um thats why im so mad i dont remimber who sead it but in the orignal post one of the guys sead that a 305 crank wont fit in a 350 WRONG it will and i have dun it in the past and i think im planing on doing it agean to the other guys whro wrote on the post saying that i would git faster revs thanx but i knew this i was only trying to git info on wether or not i would lose hp sorry i dident word the question write that was my mistake thanx Two Seater Speeder

Guest Anonymous

and mike guess i did something else hu and dont even realize it af fare as what was poster in this post was all apoligyes i dident kick any one under the table i dident mention any names or call any i semply asked if some one could answer my question sence i never got the correct answer is there somthing wrong with that or is that not what your talking about?? fill me in im a little lost and i can tell yall are cence you think i was talking about cams when i clearly stated above cam the sead oh my bad crank i did not seay crank of my bad cam i know about cams and i curentily have a sweet cam so no probs there oh yea i was readying some of your post then reposting so that is why i posted sevral times

I was wrong I guess. Seems 82racecar wants the answer to the 305 vs 350 crank question "Will it make more power?"

A 305 crank has the same stroke and journal diameters as the 350 crank. The problem that you run into is not having enough counterweight on the 305 crank to get the motor internally balanced with 350 pistons and rods (due to the heavier, bigger diameter bore 350 pistons). I guess with enough heavy metal in the crank and really light weight CONNECTING RODS and pistons, it could be done. But what's the point? Also, the crank throws are wimpier on the 305 crank and can't deal with torque as well.

BTW, I can't understand what PUSHRODS have to do with anything. They are the same in both motors, unless I'm mistaken on that. Mabe you meant CONNECTING RODS?

Getting mad at people who give you good advice on what works and what doesn't who also don't know what your background is and what you've done is pretty ridiculous. How were they supposed to know you had done it? Sure, they assumed you might not have been aware of some of the nuances of the 305/350 crank issue. But is that cause for you to get mad and take it out on all of them. Why is what they said make them seem "to take it a little simple minded"?

Alot of times what happens on these forums is that when someone new comes in and asks a technical question, the responses will be at a fundamental level. This is because both the original poster and subsequent readers may or may not have the same background and it's good to have all the facts that are pertinent laid out in the beginning. Sorry that you got "talked down to", but this happens often. All you had to do is politely say "Thanks, I knew about all that stuff but what about this (issue)". Getting mad and posting a bunch of pointed name calling flames did nothing but get you into trouble with the members and the moderators.

Mike and I, and probably the rest of the moderators on this site, don't have a bunch of time to baby sit people who don't understand simple etiquette (had to use the spell checker there!). It's much easier for us to just ban people with repeated bad manners.

Davy, no we have no spell check here. I just opened the word processor on my machine and typed in the supposed spelling and got the spell checker to look it up and fix it for me. Cut and paste after that.

Grinsha, check out: http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=001300

It seems even though the cranks can have the same casting number, they are different. That's kind of wierd though, I wouldn't have expected GM to do that.

That seems like alot of extra effort and money to save what's a bit of rotating weight. Sure it'll rev higher, but unless you're going for really high hp/displacement ratio, I don't see the need. Plus, a stock 305 crank won't last at that high rpm and power level anyway.

BTW, check the following site that lists bore dimensions for the 327 and 350: http://www.mortec.com/borstrok.htm Look at the 11th and 12th line.

Sure looks to me like the 327 and the 350 have the SAME bore. So boring a 350 block .040" over will make a 327 0.040" over piston fit just right. It WON'T fall out on the floor.

[ October 25, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]