HybridZ

Transmission Swap: Where did I go wrong?

GreenState

So I thought I had done the reading, and I've went back and done more reading and searching, but I can't quite seem to figure out what isn't right.

Car.  240z, 4/'71 manufacture date with STI 3.9 diff installed.  Stock clutch and flywheel.

New Transmission: '83zx n/a 5 speed installed with matching throwout bearing a fork.  New ZX slave cylinder. 

When bolted up the fork is all the way forward with no movement and the bearing is pressed aginst the pressure plate and there is not enough clearance to mount the slave cylinder.  See picture.

I'm not sure if the 5 speed transmission was out of a coupe or 2+2, I've sent the guy I got if from a message to find out.  I noticed this detail in my readings:  A Zcar 5-speed will fit on any year Z block and any year L28 clutch can be used. But the throwout bearing "collar" must match the style of the flywheel (coupe or 2+2). In other words, if you have a 2+2 flywheel, you need to change the throwout collar to a 2+2 version. A coupe flywheel uses a coupe collar.

Is this where I went wrong perhaps? 

post-14332-0-76954100-1368375680_thumb.jpg

So you're using your coupe flywheel (225mm) and you don't know if you have a coupe or 2+2 collar? That could be your problem.

But if you used your flywheel and clutch, why didn't you use your collar which is matched to them? I'd take this time to upgrade the clutch and flywheel if you have the money

Edited by BluDestiny

The collar has to match the clutch, specifically, the pressure plate. The pressure plates have different offsets. Only certain pressure plates can be used with certain flywheel though. The turbo/2+2 flywheel only has one pressure plate that will work with it. There are at least two offsets of pressure plates and therefore at least 2 collars available for the normally aspirated/2 seater Z's. Since you are using the stock clutch, as BluDestiny said, use the collar that that came with that clutch.

Nigel

The distance from the surface of the flywheel to the surface of the collar that the fork rides on (the "ears") should be about 92 mm.  Pressure plate heights vary, along with collars. 

The transmissions commonly used all have the same mounting point for the slave cylinder.  It's the stack height of the pressure plate and collar that matters.  Assuming that the parts are assembled correctly.

I wasn't aware of this throwout bearing collar issues, but I guess I lucked out. I just recently swapped the trans from my 83 2+2 (big flywheel) into my 77. I was going to use the throwout bearing from the 2+2, but the one in the 77 seemed to be in better shape so I went with it. Good to know though!

So the bearing collar was the issue, see the picture.  The '71 is on the left, the '83 is on the right.

I didn't realize how different they were.  I will keep the newer one around as it's needed to use an ACT clutch in my car.

The car is now on the road and works as it should, thanks for your help. 

post-14332-0-91309200-1368493032_thumb.jpg

post-14332-0-16423900-1368493055_thumb.jpg