HybridZ

I'm thinking about it !

The shop that's been working on my 71Z is hot to put an all aluminum Chevy LS something into it.

I rode in a V8 powered Z once and it was fast but didn't handle the same or "feel" the same.

They are saying that the aluminum V8 is lighter than the stock Z engine & will not change the handling.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

I'm also concerned about the Z suspension and R200 rear handling the extra power.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks, Frank

LS ( aluminum ) motors are lighter than Z motors . I had to lowered my 83 ZX to stock ride height after conversion . Going to do the same with my 78 Z . LS is the new Chevy small block . Easy to upgrade and work on . Love them . Think your post is in the wrong section .

Thanks for the quick response Domz. 

I'm new here, where would be better to post this?

Also, why did the LS engine cause you the raise the ride height?

This section is for GEN I and II . Need to post it in GEN III and IV . LS1 is lighter .

FrankieD, There is a lot of good info here, so be patient and check those links out when you get the chance.  Here's some basic info though.  The LS based motors are approximately 100 pounds LIGHTER than the traditional steel based Gen1/2 Chevy V8  which I have in my car now (Aluminum heads/intake/waterpump).  A well built Chevy Gen 1/2 can be built to be within about 35# of an L6 motor.  Also DomZ LOWERED his car's ride height do to the weight reduction.

Also, as mentioned by others, The R200 is more than capable.  I went with the Q45 rear conversion and wish I hadn't.  It's more complex, heavier, and more expensive.  I plan to eventually go with something else as we develop the car, but heed the warning and stick with the R200.  Convert to CV axles, but retain the R200.  Do a lot of research and reading, and plan out your build.  Jegs and Summit both were blowing out all their LS1 crate motors over the winter.  You might be able to get a complete crate motor for less than $3500.  Give them a ring.

Mike

Edited by Mikelly

Thanks for all the info guys. I;m a long way from being ready to do this but I've learned that the r200 rear is O.K. so I'm guessing the LS engine & tranny will mate through the drive shaft to the r200.

What I'm really interested in is how the car "feels" after. If the only difference is the extra power...I'm all for it.

On the other hand I'm not looking to make a drag car out of it. I like the quick respone & the way it goes around corners.

I have some other problems to clear up also. I just discovered that my rear wheels are not "even". That is the drivers side wheel is further out (from the center) than the passenger side. I get some contact on hard right turns. I will get into that next week.

Anyway Thanks again for all the feedback and any other feelings you may have....I'd like to hear about it.

P.S. The independent rear stays !!

post-25835-0-42765300-1368559192_thumb.jpg

Edited by FrankieD

There is no down-side, except that you have to be careful with this loaded gun.  Corners that you used to exit flat-footed, you now will need to baby.  Not, because the car handles badly, but rather because you will have the power to get into trouble.  First autocross after the LS swap was a spinfest.

With this, or any high HP upgrade, you're going to have to focus more on the set up of the suspension.  You will want the car to be more neutral to slight oversteer and you'll want to be able to catch the car.  No "fast break away understeer".

Mike

With this, or any high HP upgrade, you're going to have to focus more on the set up of the suspension.  You will want the car to be more neutral to slight oversteer and you'll want to be able to catch the car.  No "fast break away understeer".

Mike

Don't you have that backwards Mike?