HybridZ

Never2BeFinished's 280z Build Thread

First off, let me introduce myself.

My name is Wesley, im 19 and (was) enjoying my 280z. I live at home, go to school, and attend a community college for now. Oh, and most importantly, I do have a girlfriend, so the project will go 50% slower and have 67% less than expected funds. 

I have a minimum wage job so my wallet remains pretty empty... But im determined to have a fun daily driver (for now), exceptional autocross car, and who knows what else throughout the years. 

I say WAS enjoying the 280z, because two days ago (May 16th), I was making a long drive (a 3 hour drive one way) to check out a 240z. Well, 50 or so miles from Bakersfield, my engine (a 280zx motor built for turbo...without the turbo) began knocking, and there wasnt a freeway exit for miles. Knowing the engine was toast, I was searching in vain for an off ramp, but the engine blew a hole out the SIDE of the block. Im not the most engine-savvy guy, but I do know that's not common. Regardless, engine is a hunk of useless metal now, and I have been thinking of doing an engine swap for a few months. Well...since everything happens for a reason, looks like ill be swapping in a different engine! Woo! 

After this unceremonious occasion, I feel it is now appropriate to now start a build thread. Considering the only things ive done to the car isnt anything worth noting, besides a flat army green primer to substitute the blotchy silver and grey paints. 

This being said, I am debating whether to stick with a Nissan engine (RBs, VGs, possibly VQs), or swap in a Chevy engine. The one Chevy block im eye balling is the 4.3 v6 vortec. Ive only heard good things about this engine, so id love to hear some feedback on the engine, swapping one into an S30, or anything in between! 

I have checked the forums for threads on swaps of RBs, SRs, and VQs before, and found some great stuff (although the VQ was noted to be a difficult swap as far as fitting the big oil pan down there with the steering rack). HybridZ hasnt been working for me recently (using google chrome...), so i have no current knowledge on swapping a VG or chevy v6 vortec in an S30. The Chevy would be my #1 choice right now, but that being said, I am easily swayed... Im only 19 and new to engine swapping. 

One thing i should note...this is a 76 280z, and yes, I do live in the strict state of California. So smog will need to be done...thats why the SRs are pretty much out of the picture. Im planning on smogging the Chevy v6 as an s10. 

Starting today, I am going to pull the engine, tranny, and all the items in the engine bay and start from scratch. It can use some coats of paint in there anyway.

post-36776-0-39208000-1368918451_thumb.jpg

post-36776-0-29250200-1368918491_thumb.jpg

That's a bummer regarding your old motor. I think cheapest thing to do would be L28 to replace your blown motor....with limited funds, that's what I would consider first if that's your only mode of transportation.

You can always build out/plan a motor swap afterwards.

Sell the car, get a good transportation vehicle and come back to this project in life if you still interesting in it. I was the same at your age when starting to LIKE car. Spend all my financial aid and student's loan and my little wage to fixed up any car that I have. And later in life, when I have too much other stuffs to taken care of, those cars become spider's home. 

If you decided this will be the car you driven when you 30 or 40 then go for it , swap , replace fix it. If not, get a reliable car to work and school. Just my 2 cents.

That's a bummer regarding your old motor. I think cheapest thing to do would be L28 to replace your blown motor....with limited funds, that's what I would consider first if that's your only mode of transportation.

You can always build out/plan a motor swap afterwards.

+1. An L28 swap will keep things simple, and you'll be able to learn about working on cars without getting in over your head (which is easy to do - trust me). Keep the car driving as much as you can. It's easy to lose motivation when you can't even drive it. If you stick to an L28 swap, you can have your car fixed in a weekend with the help of a couple friends, and you'll be back to enjoying your Z :)

Sell the car, get a good transportation vehicle and come back to this project in life if you still interesting in it. I was the same at your age when starting to LIKE car. Spend all my financial aid and student's loan and my little wage to fixed up any car that I have. And later in life, when I have too much other stuffs to taken care of, those cars become spider's home. 

If you decided this will be the car you driven when you 30 or 40 then go for it , swap , replace fix it. If not, get a reliable car to work and school. Just my 2 cents.

Don't agree with this advice at all, sorry. You're pretty much telling him to give up because... he's young? He doesn't have much money? What's so bad about facing a challenge? It's not even a difficult fix.

Edited by rturbo 930

Just swap in another L28.  If you were running a turbo motor without a turbo it will probably be an improvement.  There are hidden costs in every project that will kill you.  An engine swap is known for that.  In your position you can't afford the unknown.

Just swap in another L28.  If you were running a turbo motor without a turbo it will probably be an improvement.  There are hidden costs in every project that will kill you.  An engine swap is known for that.  In your position you can't afford the unknown.

As the others have said. Swap in a L28 motor, I would source a complete L28 turbo. They are available and not to expensive. Your least expensive alternative. 

I am doing it now the hardest way in putting a turbo on a non turbo motor. I could have bought an RB motor for what I have done.

Read everything and ask questions. 

Good luck

What sort of experience do you have working on cars? I sort of agree that you should just put a stock engine back in this thing. Unless you are really mechanically inclined or have some experience with swaps.

Generally working experience goes from mild stock restoration, mild customization, and stock motor swaps, to full restoration, extensive customization, and hybrid swaps.

You should also consider costs, try to work up an estimate and post it up to see if it's realistic.

Not saying it's impossible to do a hybrid first thing just don't bite off more than you can chew.

Go for the stock setup. As a fellow youngster with similar issues, I suggest you go for the cheapest option now. A turbo swap is a lot to tackle for a 19 year old on a budget, I did it two years ago when I was 17 and am still not finished. Unforeseen issues will inevitably happen that will halt your progress, and living expenses dry your budget to where its hard to afford general maintenance if you're also installing upgrades. So I suggest you go for a simplistic, most cost effective solution so you can limit the hiccups and have Z car to enjoy while you're a poor American youth, rather one that's parked in your parents garage 175 miles from where you live.

Anyone who says you're too young just did something wrong when they were our age. :P Persevere and you will have a kick ass z car in a few short years.

Also, don't get your girlfriend pregnant. That will really kill the project.

Hey, like everyone else, I'd recommend just going with a Stock motor.  You already have the tranny. If yours is a 4sp it's an ideal time to upgrade that too.  Putting in a Stock Engine is really something you can do over a weekend if you can find one.  You won't have to worry about emissions or any of the other rigamorole with changing to a different engine.  Especially the costs.  Now on a stock engine, You can do so much to squeeze more power out of it, and raise it's efficiency.  Upgrading to an MPI  will help MPG and power.  Since you had a "turbo" engine w/o the turbo, you'll see a big jump there already.

Now going for a swap. Sure you can do it, it's not for the faint of heart. If you love your Z, you should probably wait till you're better funded. Even a "Cheap" swap is going to be in the 1000's of dollars range.  How are your Welding Skills? Do you have access to a welder?  Almost all swaps require some welding, unless you want to go with bolt in pre-fab parts, but then you get into the $$$$ issue again. An example is the VQ mount kit from McKinney, It's just a few pieces of metal welded together in the appropriate positions, They want over $600 bucks for it.  That'll buy you at least 2 stock L28 engines.  Any swap will require a lot of changes too, Not just the engine, but almost always the Tranny, the Driveshaft, the radiator, the exhaust , fuel, and often the steering.  These are in themselves not cheap.  Not to mention the electricals. Those you should get with the engine, but are almost never complete. especially with newer engines. After that, you may need to get into tuning, which can easilly cost as much as your engine depending on the dyno time.

Usually I tell people to just double whatever budget they're thinking of for their car.   If I was you, and serious about doing a swap, I'd get a stock L28 and get your car going again so you can drive and take your girl out and all that, while you save up and start buying parts, the engine, and really get things ready. So when you're going to do the swap, you can get it done w/o the car just sitting for months.  I can certainly tell you, from experience, that's a heart breaker right there.  So if you want to do it, let us know, we'll guide you however you'd like to go. If you need help sourcing parts, I'm certain we can help you locate an engine in your area. Whichever type you go with. 

Oh and KROz's comment about the preggo GF, yeah, even planned kids really suck up a lot of your workshop time. I wouldn't trade mine for 100 Z cars, my daughter rocks. :-) my Z suffers...

Edited by Pharaohabq

Dang I wasnt expecting this much feedback! Thanks! :)

Its funny you all say to swap an L28...because ive been thinking about going that route the past couple days. My funds are really low at the moment, and any engine will actually be an improvement (because I dynoed the car about 2 months ago and ended up with +/- 104 hp and 130 ft/lb.) Solid, but a freshly rebuilt swapped L28 will be a big difference already!

What sort of experience do you have working on cars? I sort of agree that you should just put a stock engine back in this thing. Unless you are really mechanically inclined or have some experience with swaps.

To answer your question (and possibly the rest of you questioning my skills), I have helped my very mechanically gifted buddy of mine swap a V8 into a 93 TJ. I have also helped him re-install the stock engine to his Lotus Cortina, which was a piece of cake. My fab skills suck, lol, but his are excellent. We make up for each others' strengths and weaknesses lol :P

Pregnant girlfriend is definitely not on the to-do list lol, but I (still) will be careful.

Im speaking with a guy on craigslist about an N42 block (which needs a rebuilt) and an N47 cylinder head...any red flags? I know the parts are fairly interchangeable throughout the years, but that's coming from a guy who kindof avoided getting too involved with the L6 since ive been planning for big engine swap for a while. 

And today i discovered Rebello Racing, I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard...

Edited by Never2BeFinished

Are you sure that's Drool on the Keyboard?  

Well I'd caution you about just going and finding just a block. You should be looking for a complete engine.  That way you know you have all the parts you need. Now you may be able to buy just a block and put it together with your existing blown engine parts, but you're not going to gain much there since you'd have to have the  block and head machined. There's often a reason people are selling just a head, or just a block.  Ideally you should find a running engine that you can pull out of a donor. that way you know what's there, and that it runs and doesn't have big issues.  You'll pay as much as the machine work for a running engine. 

All the parts to rebuild an L28 are availible at the parts store Autozone/Napa/Etc.  So yes you can rebuild whatever L28 you get, but you may not need to if you find a good one.  Now there's a lot of combinations for heads and blocks.  Most of the 280Z's used the N42/N47 combination which is common. The later 280ZX's had the F54/P90(P90A) combination which was nice in that the Head was a hydraulic head so you didn't have to adjust the valves.  Look on here in the Engine section about the Different heads and blocks. bu varying them you can change your comression by a goodly amount.  If you do rebuild, besure to replace the valve seals w/ viton or some other that will work with unleaded gas.