HybridZ

Dapper Lighting HID Headlight Kit

I bought this kit a while back and am just getting ready to install it on my 280Z28.  Their website has what appears to be a good pictorial set of installation instructions so I'm fairly confident about the install.

Two questions:

1) Has anyone else installed this kit and did you have any issues?  Feedback!??

2) The headlight lenses come with built in DRL's.  Has anyone hooked them up?  If so, where did you tap into for your power source?  I want mine to be on when the ignition is on but not otherwise and I don't want to have to switch them on and off.

Thank you for any feedback.

Good to hear.  I've had the kit sitting in my garage waiting for me to get around to it for about 18 months now.  I'm glad the website had good install instructions as I didn't find any with the kit and the company I bought it from no longer carries it. I would like to do the DRL's, though, as I like the safety aspect of them - especially since my 280 really has no safety equipment other than stock seat belts and a roll bar.  Even the original steel crash bumpers have been replaced by the MSA type 2 ground effects kit.

Make sure you install the capacitor backward, or you won't get high beams. These kits are excellent. The cutoff is cleaner than a Lexus, VW, late model Nissan, and Ford factory HID setup. I've compared all of them, and I don't get flashed on the highway. Only issue are those fuse holders. Just bypass them if you know the wiring of your car. It's fairly straightforward. You can even get the haloes to light. 

I ran to pep boys, purchased an led for the drl [they're blue] and wired them to my marker lights. I did not cut the factory headlight harness connector ends but removed the wires then re-inserted when finished [allowing me to pull the stock harness through the factory headlight mount bucket thing without cutting]. Also, you'll need to drill a hole in the headlight bucket-best way i found so it's in the correct location is to think of it as a bowl-hold it level and drill in the deepest point-providing clearance for the backside of the hid assembly to slightly protrude through. Hope my rambling makes sense...

Members are using projector light, may i ask if the light output pattern are being blocked by the long nose and deep headlight housing. I mean if the 2 lights won't cross each other or cross but at far distance. I retro my 2012 Tundra with projector from theretrofitsource.com and it turn out great but a little skeptic when come down to the Z. 

And you guy are using original headlight housing to do the retro or buy the brand new set of headlight with projector in it ? Thanks.

Make sure you install the capacitor backward, or you won't get high beams.

FYI, it's really a diode, not a capacitor. Confused the heck out of me the first time I tried to follow the original schematic! Looks like he's corrected all the documentation now.

Nigel

Yeah, I just realized that. My bad. Wiring colors are off too. Seriously, a red wire on the cathode? The light results in a pretty fierce stinger looking thing on the ground in front of you, but it only trails out 2 or 3 feet so you won't see the dark spot if you're sitting inside.

I installed these and I really like them, but I think I need to pull them back out. I clamped the retaining ring a little too tightly on them so it's not allowing a proper adjustment? Were you guys able to get these to adjust decently? I feel like mine are aimed a bit too low. When I switch to high beams they work great. Otherwise these lights are fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the impression it was just a marked up kit, they look identical. I would go with Dapper Lighting, because MSA is nearly impossible to get support from in my experience, and the guys at Dapper Lighting were willing to pay for shipping to replace one of my shrouds (one came in gloss and the other matte), but since I was painting over them it wasn't a big deal.

• 1 month later...