HybridZ

1977 280z Got it Running.

Hey all, long time reader and lurker here on the HybridZ forums. Always had a dream to buy and build a S30 series. Finally bought one. 1977 EFI 280z. When I got it it wasn't running, messed around with the ignition system and sure enough the PO had the firing order backwards, then fixed the fuel problem (new lines / fuel pump).
    Now here is the dilemma, it idles fine and has correct fuel pressure. However, it doesn't want to rev up. The tachometer is either unhooked or broken I am not sure. So I cannot tell you when it cuts out exactly. I have the FSM and EFI Bible!

Thanks guys look forward to getting to know all of you.

-Brendan

post-39472-0-17322500-1369106479_thumb.png

Have you done basic maintenance or do you know if all the basics have been replaced? Dizzy cap,rotor, belt, oil change, rad fluid? are the grounds and connectors nice and clean? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail? that could cause it to cut out as well.

Have you done basic maintenance or do you know if all the basics have been replaced? Dizzy cap,rotor, belt, oil change, rad fluid? are the grounds and connectors nice and clean? Have you checked the fuel pressure at the rail? that could cause it to cut out as well.

Distributor cap, plugs and wires, oil + filter, radiator flush, gas tank flushed cleaned and sealed, Haven't checked the grounds nor connectors I will have a go at that tonight. Fuel pressure at the rail (right before it after the filter) is around 34 psi.

Edited by Brendan280z

You may want to check the TPS if it is working. You can open it up and see if you accelerate , the flap should leave the idle contacting point and touch the accelerate flap. If it doesn't touch, try use to screw driver to make contacting point and twist the throttle to see if it still stumble. My Z has same issue until I found out the TPS never touch the WOT position.

You may want to check the TPS if it is working. You can open it up and see if you accelerate , the flap should leave the idle contacting point and touch the accelerate flap. If it doesn't touch, try use to screw driver to make contacting point and twist the throttle to see if it still stumble. My Z has same issue until I found out the TPS never touch the WOT posi

I will check this out when I get home and post the results and take some photos!

PO murdered the vacuum system. Bought all new vacuum line yesterday 6 feet of every size hope this is enough. And some black silicone to attempt to repair the afm boot. Thank you guys for all the help!

ALSO. Is there an easy way to put the clutch pedal clevis pin back in???? Jeez or is it some sick initiation ritual?

I had a similar problem on my '76 which turned out to be the computer.  It would idle fine, but if you touched the gas pedal, it would kill the engine.  I did go through every test in the EFI Bible and was lucky enough to find a computer on Craigslist for $20 which fixed the problem.  Note: There are different ECM's for different years that aren't interchangeable. 

I had a similar problem on my '76 which turned out to be the computer. It would idle fine, but if you touched the gas pedal, it would kill the engine. I did go through every test in the EFI Bible and was lucky enough to find a computer on Craigslist for $20 which fixed the problem. Note: There are different ECM's for different years that aren't interchangeable.

The ECM is good al the tests came back positive and the injectors ground out nicely. Thanks though!!

I had a similar problem on my '76 which turned out to be the computer. It would idle fine, but if you touched the gas pedal, it would kill the engine. I did go through every test in the EFI Bible and was lucky enough to find a computer on Craigslist for $20 which fixed the problem. Note: There are different ECM's for different years that aren't interchangeable.

The ECM is good al the tests came back positive and the injectors ground out nicely. Thanks though!!

ALSO. Is there an easy way to put the clutch pedal clevis pin back in???? Jeez or is it some sick initiation ritual?

It's definitely the latter! :lol:  I hate that clevis and cotter pin...

I have to use long needle-nose pliers, no way in hell do my hands fit up there.

Edited by Leon

I had to ask the smallest girl I knew if she could reach up there and attach the vacuum line. Ten seconds before she arrived I managed to slip the line onto the water cock.

Called the girlfriend over! She got it done quick! (little hands!) :P