HybridZ

Transmission problem 5 Speeds clunking. Wide ratio = FSW71A or FSW71B?

I have 76 280z ( production date 7/1976)

The car have 5 speed transmission . As of my search , it is a early 5 speed ( wide ratio ) , because it has 2 ears and the speedo nut is in the inside. I think the PO did the swap or is it original ??

When I put in gear , it will make a little clunking noise at low speed. The noise will disappear as I press the clutch. 

Clunking noise is louder when in reverse. And will disappear when I press clutch.

I have done trouble shooting so far:

• Check u joint , I rev car up with 2 rear wheels off the ground and in gear then applied clutch . The noise stop , and of course the drive shaft and wheels still turn but no noise.
  • Removed Drive shaft and inspect U joint - good
  • Check if shaft hitting sway bar or something , I hoped , but it is not, it is cleared from everything.
  • Check the sandwich rubber for the diff - good
  • Check mustache rubber and bolts - good

Notice that every noise will stop as soon as I press the clutch whether in gear or not. 

Small grinding sound even when car in N and stop with clutch press down. 

Car shift in gear up and down good no clutch slip.

I have never opened up a transmission before and willing to fix this one. I checked Ebay for rebuilt kit but they all say FSW71A. But as of my Chilton manual states as FSW71B for my trans. Please someone helps me confirm this?

And any reliable shop rather than Ebay have a reputation rebuilt kit ? 

And I can't really change the U join in this model ( my chilton said all 75 up U joint can't replace but have to replace the whole shaft )

Thanks all very much for reading my long post. 

Edited by 9rider

I'm not sure about the Transmission, but the clunking may be in your clutch perhaps?  You'll probably have to pull it to see what's going on.  These are cheaper to replace with used than to repair.  As for the U joint. I know you can replace them, I did the ones in my 78'.  Pain in the as$ to do, but it's possible.  An axle/driveshaft shop might do it cheaply for you.

Transmission open up.

942818_391315140977387_1991621073_n.jpg

2 bearings missing half of their balls. The top and the one at the bottom same shaft ( where adapter place )

7287_391315264310708_1132648035_n.jpg

1000064_391315214310713_1650601691_n.jpg

crack 

7868_391315237644044_1449026379_n.jpg

gear missing tooth.

I know I can buy those bearing , how about other parts? The missing tooth gear , the crack gear?? ( is it the syncho??)

I haven't id the name of those gear yet. 

Should I buy another trans or fix this one. So far the car go smooth on 3 4 5 but not on 1 2 R.

I am planning swap entire engine and trans 2 3 years later when my financial more stable and I have a place to do it. 

I need your advices . 

Edited by 9rider

Check your shift forks for cracks or excessive wear.  They're expensive.  If the shafts were out of alignment due to missing bearings, other problems can occur.  That's probably what caused the cracked gear.  The other gears must have had serious stress put on them too.

You'll probably find enough other parts that need replacing that you'll wish you hadn't tried to rebuild, if you go that way.

I'm no expert but it seems like a tranmsission with just worn bearings and synchros would be a better starting point for a rebuild. 

steved033 wins the guessing contest.  Maybe he tried to rebuild his two and has some knowledge to pass on.

Looks like your tranny was rebuilt once. The mainshaft nut and counter shaft nut are re-used. That's No No staff.

I think you'd better off to find another 71B tranny to think about the cost of replacing broken, cracked gear with syncro rings + bearings.

Since you live in SoCal, I think it's easy to find replacement at Junkyard or craigslist.

Edited by tamo3

As I said earlier, they're cheaper to replace than they are to repair. Look on Craigslist and Ebay for one. That or the For sale ads on here. There's a lot of people who are parting out S30's and S130's it you need I can even give you a  douple names for guys out here, but shiping would likely cost more than buying from your local JY or parts source.  Look around, there's tons of S130's being parted. Don't go back to a 4sp, sure the low end ratio is slightly better, but missing a 5th gear OD really sucks if you see any highway drivetime.  You should be able to find a used one for around $100 bucks.

I able id parts needed:

Reverse Idler gear - chipped one tooth

Countershaft rear bearing

Countershaft bearing .

And yes, I will buy a 4 speed just to get the car move around - fastest and cheapest fix yet. Then  take time to fix the 5 speeds one or looking for another one. 

Thanks guys.

Check your shift forks for cracks or excessive wear.  They're expensive.  If the shafts were out of alignment due to missing bearings, other problems can occur.  That's probably what caused the cracked gear.  The other gears must have had serious stress put on them too.

You'll probably find enough other parts that need replacing that you'll wish you hadn't tried to rebuild, if you go that way.

I'm no expert but it seems like a tranmsission with just worn bearings and synchros would be a better starting point for a rebuild. 

steved033 wins the guessing contest.  Maybe he tried to rebuild his two and has some knowledge to pass on.

nope, I'm afraid I don't have knowledge to pass on.  i just send mine out for rebuild.  I wouldn't mind trying one someday...

a place in atlanta called southern gear has a bearing/seal/etc rebuild kit.  i'm still waiting for my rebuilt one to get back before I pull my mostly working one out.

When i replaced the first one with a mostly working one, we drained the really bad one, and parts of bearing carrier came out on the drain magnet.  OUCH!  I have a picture somewhere...

My bearing races dropped like slot machine coin when I opened the bell housing. I will get the 4 speeds trans from beermanpete and try to fix the 5 speeds using the part from another 4 speeds trans , also from beermanpete. I will post comparison between 2 trans , of course not the OD - 5th gear but other gears so member can overhaul or fix their 5 speeds trans using cheap 4 speeds trans parts.