HybridZ

Now that you have a LS what transmission did you use?

• Administrators

The OP doesn’t want to spend the money on an appropriately rated transmission. The TKO600 is rated for about 25% more torque capacity than a T56 and it’s less expensive. But, he won’t break either one unless he gets traction.

If he knowingly installs an underrated trans and then proceeds to make modifications to get bite, and consequently breaks the trans, then I’d say the joke is on him.

I have been called worse.  all jokes aside I did put a deposit on a built t56 this am.  I will first have to get used to the car so I think that this transmission will last a while during the OGM what did I just build phase.....

as I get out of that phase and into the OK let's see what it will do phase I will start to look at other options. 

I bought a built T56 with:

LS7 clutch

Tick Master Master Cylinder

B&M ripper Shifter

Steel 3/4 fork

Carbon blocker rings on all forward gears

Upgraded second gear

Billet 3/4 syncro

solid 1/2 keys

Bronze fork pads 1-6

Modified reverse syncro

All new needle bearings

I will most likely have to upgrade the clutch but this is a good start for 1800.00

I have been called worse.  all jokes aside I did put a deposit on a built t56 this am.  I will first have to get used to the car so I think that this transmission will last a while during the OGM what did I just build phase.....

as I get out of that phase and into the OK let's see what it will do phase I will start to look at other options. 

I bought a built T56 with:

LS7 clutch

Tick Master Master Cylinder

B&M ripper Shifter

Steel 3/4 fork

Carbon blocker rings on all forward gears

Upgraded second gear

Billet 3/4 syncro

solid 1/2 keys

Bronze fork pads 1-6

Modified reverse syncro

All new needle bearings

I will most likely have to upgrade the clutch but this is a good start for 1800.00

Tick MC will net you back a couple hundo's. (assuming its for an F Body). Yeah, that LS7 clutch will drive nice, but it won't last long if you beat on it. I'd look at a brass shifter cup bushing as well.  I had a B&M in one car -  not a huge fan. I have a factory hurst with a short shifter on it. I'd like an MGW ultimately i think.

Looks like a good list of parts..... assuming its put together correctly. The dildo who put my current trans together (before i bought and rebuilt it) forgot the shift fork pads, and it ended up grenading the 3/4 synchro hub, and took the counter shaft with it. esssssssppeeeeeeeennnsive.

Edited by SUNNY Z

I thought I got it for a steal.  I don't want to have to pull the transmission any time soon so I might just go ahead and get rid of the clutch.......I am new to the LS world so it is good to hear that I have a decent set of parts in the pieces I am putting into the car.  I had a budget but.... it has been blown....If I would not have bought the magnacharger I would not be so bad off......

A little late to the party but I'm putting a TR6060 in mine.  Bone stock of course (more tq capacity drew me towards it) but I couldn't find a T56 for a good deal so we'll see how it goes.  Worst case it breaks and I go the built T56 route.  Not so happy about the fixed yoke rear but we'll see what happens.

Later plans include another car (or old 50's chevy truck) with LS power/Turbo or Supercharger/Auto for a daily driving drag car/truck.  Or maybe a duramax powered 50's drag truck! Ok now I'm just rambling...

My trans is an '11 with 2k on it from a Camaro SS pullout.  $1450

Can't wait for the build on this one!  They're all different and I like incorporating different ideas/parts/pieces from other builds...if enough people keep putting on superchargers I may have to eat bologna and cheese sandwiches to save $$ and buy one soon after mine's running!  Peer pressure...

So given the choice thee seems to be 2 common gear ratio setups on the T56. One has a taller first gear but with lower overdrive .63 i think. I guess a closer ratio trans and the other has a lower first with a higher overdrive .50 I think. What is the preferred one for a swap with a 3.54 rear? Are the gear ratios in te 6060 similar to the t56?

The cam is a custom grind Billet unit.  I will get the specs on the cam in a bit. 

I just dropped off the transmission off at the shop where all of my parts are currently at.  Call me what you will but I know when I am in over my head.  With this build, well I am. I can do the simple swap stuff but this full swap into my 1970 240Z I feel would be best done by the professionals.  not a bro-fessional like my self in this arena. 

I will be updating my build thread as there is progress in the coming months

Thank you for all of the responses and information. 

Yeah from what I gather, here are the ratios I've dug up for t56 vs tr6060

LS1 T56 - 2.66 , 1.78 , 1.3 , 1.0 , 0.74 , 0.50

TR6060 - 3.01 , 2.07 , 1.43 , 1.0 , 0.84 , 0.57

Camaro TR6060 and T56 not GTO gear ratios

You are correct. The M12 gears were used in the boats. aka GTO's and SSR's.

• 1 month later...

So what are people's thoughts on gear ratios for autoxing vs drag racing vs daily driving?

How usable is 1st gear in a T56?  I'm close to firing my 5.3 up and am curious with my 3.01 vs 2.66 if first is even usable in my case unless I had a hitch and hauled a trailer lol jk

Oh and I have the standard 3.54:1 rear R200

Edited by EastTnZ

• 2 weeks later...

Zfan1 - got to agree with you if the car is going to have a solid rear axle.  That says straight line car and nothing beats a good auto for that.  Since I'm now in the Pacific Northwest and have all these wonderful crooked mountain roads i'm so glad I stuck to my guns 10 years ago and went with the T56.  It is so fun selecting the right gear and then throttle steering through the corners.