HybridZ

low oil pressure

I've tried searching but am having little luck because all I have to use is my cellphone. I have a 1980 s130 Yesterday while on a short road trip my oil pressure started going nuts. The oil pressure would dip really hard then jerkingly shoot back up to normal and sometimes past the half way point. It even zeroed out a couple times and I shut the car off. Strange thing is the light never comes on. Oil level is good. Sometimes it jumps up when I rev it sometimes it doesn't or dips. Does that sound like a bad pump, bad sensor, bad gauge? I've had it parked in the same spot last night and don't show any signs of a leak.

My secondary issue right now.is a lack of tools and work space. If anyone has had this issue and knows how to fix it, please share and thanks in advance. I've gotta hit the road around noon time tomorrow.

Im pretty inclined to agree with John (Big surprise!) on this one.  Everytime Ive experienced this with any of my cars its been a faulty connector on the oil pressure sender, so I'd start there.  It strongly sounds electrical in nature.  But like stated, it COULD be something dicky mechanical.  It doesnt sound like worn out bearing, the oil pressure would be bad and stay bad (99% of the time, anyways)-  But the possibility of something up with pump or pick up exists, even though Im inclined to think its less likely.  Start with the electrical/gauges and go from there.

As for things to watch out for?  Odd taping/knocking noises- Especially (but not limited to) ones coming from the block.  If you hear this noise the damage is done, but if you catch it here and stop running the engine you decrease your chances of adding an optional crankcase ventilation on demand system. 

Check those connectors-  If that doesnt solve it, try and locate an aftermarket oil pressure gauge (maybe a friend will have one if youre lucky?) and go from there.

Edited by Sideways

If it is something like a clogged pickup or something of that nature, would running something through like seafoam help with that, or does it need to be taken apart? I've never used that stuff but a friend of mine said it was used to clean out engines and works really well. I have always been hesitant to add anything like that to my car.