HybridZ

Put on bad dog rail frame 280z 1976 - No complete strip possible?

9rider

I have rust on both rear frame rails, about 1/4 the length of the frame. I am planning put the bad dog frame rail over the existing one. However, I ask some body shop and they said they can't do it without strip everything out. I wonder if it is possible to just jack the car up without remove engine , transmission and weld it . I will remove interior where the frame go so it won't be melted or catch on fire during process. 

What exactly are you asking?

Your post is hard to understand. I'm understanding that the shop wants to remove the engine/transmission to weld in bad-dog frame rails. That isn't necessary. 

Removing the interior, the under coating, and the rust prior to welding the new rails on. 

The question is : Do I need to remove fuel tank, fuel line, engine , transmission, rear diff, and most parts to weld on the frame rail.

I saw some post from members in here showed that he strip the car to bare metal when doing the frame rail . I guess he do complete restoration from ground up.

I also saw that most time they do flip the car to side way to weld the frame.

So it is possible just to lift the car up and weld the frame from under ? 

The answer to your first question is no.

You do need to remove anything that might be in your way, but I can't think of anything.

Cut out the bad part of your frame rail, strip the entire area of the frame rail to bare metal, strip 6 inches of material out from the frame rail to bare metal, coat bare metal in weld-through primer, coat inside and outside of thr bad dog rail in weld-through primer, jack the car up and put it on jack stands, use a floor jack to position the bad dog rail over the stock one and tack weld it in place, double check fitment, and finish weld in 2-4" sections skipping around the perimeter of the rail.

Not as nice as putting the car on a rotisserie and stripping it to bare metal, but it'll work.

If you have a 280z, the fuel lines run adjacent to one of the frame rails so yes the lines will have to be moved and disconnected. If you are putting the Baddog frame rails in front to back you will need to at the minimum disconnect the axles and remove all the interior, under coating, and any paint in the welded area.

You can't weld to paint if that is what you are asking.

Welding horizontal is substantially easier then welding from the bottom. 

If that is the shop you have picked and that's what they want to do you are kind of at their mercy. Removing the drive train will make the car easier to manipulate and less weight will make the chassis a little less likely to warp when you remove the floor and frame rails. It depends on their price break. Personally I would charge more to work around pieces than to just remove it all together and bolt it in later. And if it is a professional shop, they may want to throw the car on a jig of some sort which will necessitate using the stock transmission mounting location as a reference point.

I would, as a shop, state you had to strip everything out in regards to flammable s on the interior.

I don't see any shop saying engine/transmission....and only moving the fuel rails as necessary.

The way it's written, and clarified, who the hell knows!