HybridZ

No park/tail lights

I know this problem has been touched on a lot, but I still can't find my issue. I have a 78 280z 2+2 that just got painted last summer. I only drive my car in the summer so this problem has just come to light sense it got painted at the end of last summer and I've been gone all of this summer. I have no dash/park/tail lights when I turn the headlights on. It keeps blowing the 15a fuse every time you turn the lights on. I've searched on here and done the tests. I took out all the marker sockets and the turn signal sockets as well. Turn the lights on and it still pops the fuse. Ive taken off the headlight combo switch and taken it apart and cleaned off all the contacts, and it still blows the fuse. I've cleaned the back of the fuse box and there is no corrosion anywhere. Is the only thing left the wiring harness? I'd hate to start unwrapping the harness, but it seems like all signs are pointing to that. It seems like this problem started occurring after the car got painted. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I am becoming very frustrated, and would love some guidance. Thanks in advance for the help!

When I had my first 240Z  painted, the painters removed the side marker lights. When they reassembled the side marker lights they plugged in the wires to the socket  backwards so that the power wire went directly to ground. Each time the lights were turned on the fuse blew and took out all the lights on that circuit.

What did you do the car that could cause the lights to fail?

The painter also removed all of my markers when my z was painted. One of the tests I did just today was to take off every marker light and turn signal..I unplugged every socket. When I turned the lights on it would still pop it even with all the lights unhooked. Is there any possibility that my headlights would cause this problem? They still work, but we were thinking maybe then send a current back through the fusible link or something. The headlights are new aftermarket ones that I believe have h4 bulbs in them. Thanks for the help

You just have to  methodically keep eliminating circuits until the problem circuit is identified.

Also, for H4 headlights you should install the headlight relay harness sold by a HybridZ member and at Motor Sports Auto (MSA). The H4 lights pull more amps.  It will take the load off of the headlight switch/wiring and provide brighter headlights. Do a search for the headlight relay harness for more info.

Get a schematic and study it until you understand the affected  lighing circuits and can trace them in the car. Have you identified every light that is on the problem circuit? There may be other lights such as a glove compartment light,  dome light  etc. that may have been miswired or become shorted.

Don't open the harness unless you have eliminated all other possibilities and testing shows a problem.

Most likely the paint shop  grounded a wire. Keep looking.

Edited by Miles

Thanks Miles, really appreciate the help! Such a tedious process. Have been burning fuses left and right, I believe we've burnt up around 30 now.  Keep testing everything, and hopefully we will find the issue. Defiantly don't want to rip into the wiring harness thats for sure.  Didn't know about the h4 harness, and I will look into getting one. Thanks again, and I will try to keep everyone updated.

Got tired of blowing fuses, so decided to try a tip I found searching online to hook up a 12v light in-between the contacts without the fuse in place. If there is a short the light will light up, which it did. Then you go around and remove bulbs and jiggle wires until there is a change in the 12v light to see where your issue is. I then went around removing all the markers the turn signal lights and ect. Jiggled wires everywhere but still can't find my issue. Thought for a bit that it was the dome light, so took it out to find it very hot to the touch, and the wire pretty burnt and chrispy. Fixed this issue but still wasn't my issue as the 12v light didn't change one bit. I tried other places like the glove box light the engine light, and just about everywhere I could think of that runs to that fuse to no success. Any one have any suggestions? I am totally stumped-Just wish I could find this issue soon so I can drive my car at night again.

• 2 years later...

I had my car painted. Removed side marker lights and filled in body work. I'm not sure if the shop just cut out the light and they are grounding to the body. I have no dash, parking, running lights tail. My aftermarket radio recently lost power, my headlights sometimes turn off by themselves. My blower motor stopped working till I played with appropriate fuse and tapped fuse box firmly. Any ideas?

You might check the plug where the hazard light pigtail plugs into the harness.  I've seen bad connections on that switch cause this similar situation.  All the blinkers and hazard lights run through the switch.   I was going to tell you about using a bulb rather than fuses, but you'd found that first.  Check the plug, then test the hazard switch itself.