HybridZ

Is This "Clunk" Normal - Z31 LSD Install (Video)

slownrusty

Hey Gang - So I decided to get back to work on my ZX, after a huge hiatus and damn excited too.  First order of business is to install a Z31 LSD that I had in a box for 7 years!  It actually saw the light for the first time today and I noticed that it makes a "clunk" when you turn the companion flange by hand, is this normal?  I will say it turns smoothly.

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxzZET1In5Y

Is this normal, I am new to the world of LSDs, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Yasin

Edited by slownrusty

You should have some play inside to make it smooth but the noise seems big to me.

Spec for backlash is 0.13 to 0.18mm. So having a cluck is normal since you need some free play.

Remove the cover and measure the backlash between the gear & pinion. 280zx FSM PD-19 is showing how to proceed with a dial indicator.

It could also be the pinion or the gear that might have some wear... you should check contact pattern between parts to be sure.

Edited by Lazeum

That's the ring gear engaging, since there is no fluid its much more audible. Now if that's normal or not I couldn't tell you since I've never had a z31 lsd. Doesn't look like it has a lot of play in it though, and as Plata said, when there's fluid in it, it could be perfectly fine. 

If it's been sitting without oil in it though, I would at least take the rear cover off and check for rust on the bearing surface areas

I have 2 of them and 3 open R200s. They all sound like that. Imagine how that makes your axles and driveshaft feel with a 4500rpm clutch dump! I think the fact that you have it sitting on a folding table accentuates the noise. It will be a little quieter if you set the diff on the ground. Don't know if that is normal, but mine all do it. Get an automatic and footbrake it and you should be fine.