HybridZ

1978 280z GTO LS1 T56 TTT

Not the point. The one installed on my car is available at the website I indicated and it has lasted 10 years for me. You can also use its model number to cross-reference with Sanden to see if they have an equivalent. Trying to help out here with a unit that will fit properly.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

134 is higher pressure and has a little less cooling capacity per unit volume that R-12. It also is corrosive to seals in older AC systems. The stock Z AC in the S30's is good to maybe 90 degrees if the car starts out in the shade. Above that and the cabin gets warm or if the car is heat soaked it takes about 30 miles to start cooling down. I assume the Vintage air system would be more effective but my only experience is with the system in my '77 280Z with either the L28 or the LS1 compressors. I think the fan capacity and evaporator capacity is what makes the difference.

When I was ordering my vintage air stuff the guy said the evaporator, compressor and condenser has to be designed for 134. As long as it all is, it's just as cold. How many cars AC systems in the last several years haven't been cold? I think in the early days of the switch they were just using 134 in the old style hardware. When I was at the AC shop getting my hoses crimped, that guy said they are talking about doing away with 134 in the next few years.

• 1 month later...

My friend and I are both restoring our dashes at the same time. Since vintage air is being used we wanted to make sure we get as much airflow as possible. We combined Mercedes vents with the Datsun vents. They happen to use the same size hose as the vintage air output, so no having to make the hose smaller by the vents. In the middle picture you can see how much larger they are than the Datsun.

post-37191-0-41634900-1402232197_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-52203800-1402232248_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-63693500-1402232303_thumb.jpg

Edited by socorob

Started on restoring the cracked datsun Z dash yesterday. Got it dremeled out, filled with great stuff foam, shaped it with a hacksaw blade and put the 1st coat of the padded dash filler from urethane supply company on. I got too small of a can of it, so I may have to order another can and not be able to finish it until next weekend. Hate when that happens.

post-37191-0-83648800-1402232959_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-76182100-1402233035_thumb.jpg

post-37191-0-04953400-1402233100_thumb.jpg

I don't remember because I got them for my last car. All I know was it took 2 different ones. They were all from a late 70s very early 80s Mercedes. I used the rear part of the ones with the 2.5" inlet and the ball vent from the one with the larger inlets. The vents appeared to be the same except the ones from the large ones were blacker, that's why I used them.

Here's the dash after a coat then a sand and a second coat of the padded dash filler. This stuff is hard to sand. I ended up using a DA very lightly on the flat areas.

post-37191-0-08954400-1402262484_thumb.jpg

Hey Phantom its all about condensor size and air flow.The reason the early 90's cars had such terrible a/c was due to the switch to r-134a with no condensor change(from r-12).They where trying to use up existing stock of condensers which caused piss poor cooling due to about 20% decrease in efficiency due to the new mandated r-134a.Once manufactures got rid rid of existing stock of condensers and put on properly sized(efficient) condensers the problem went away mostly.Hope this helps,I believe In oversize(efficient) condensers for this reason.That's my two cents hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

I got the car started and I think all the only wiring left to do is inside the car. I'm using a 2004 Pontiac GTO brake light switch on both the clutch and brake pedals for the cruise control, which is what I'm working on now. Here are the way I set up the controls. An on off rocker to turn it on and some momentary push buttons for set/accel and resume/coast. I have an extra set of contacts on the clutch switch. What is everyone's thoughts on making it so I have to push the clutch in to start it? I'm torn as to do it or not, as I see benefits of having it and not having it.

post-37191-0-08741600-1406166989_thumb.jpg