HybridZ

Does ANYONE have a kit for a manual and a 350?

Hey guys, I've been looking to putting a 350 in my 76 280z and I have a buddy with a low mile crate engine for cheap. The only thing keeping me from doing the swap is the fact that I can't find any swap kit parts or information (yes I used the search function) on using a regular 350 small block and a manual transmission like a Camaro T5. Plenty of info on LS1/T56 builds and plenty of info on 350/Th350 builds. Does the shifter not line up or something? Trans tunnel too small? No driveshaft parts? Why doesn't anyone swap in a classic 350 small block and a 5 speed?

Have you tried JTR ( JCI ) ? I think MSA also have a V8 kit and I'm not sure about T5 .

MSA only has the parts for a Turbo 350 trans. I just dug deeper into JTR and it seems they do sell a crossmember for a T5. Does anyone know of a build thread of someone using a T5 in their build? I'd like to see how it fits and how they did the clutch

I used the MSA V8 kit on two 350 SBC T5 trans projects. I prefer it to the JTR kit because the trans mount goes up inside the trans tunnel and allows more flexibility in setting drive shaft angles. The MSA kit is designed for the 700r4 transmission, but also works with the T5 transmission.  The JTR kit also has benefits. Search for JTR and MSA kits for details.

If you search the forums you will see that there are three popular V8 swap kits for Z cars.

Suggestions:

• Buy the JTR book and read it at least 5 times.
  • Buy a FSM and Haynes repair  manuals for your specific car. 
  • Download electrical schematics for your car.  PDFs are easier to read than those found in books.
  • Buy the book How to Restore Your Dasun Z Car by Wick Humble. It will save you hours of searching. 
  • Focus on searching Hybridz for at least 40 hours as 99% of your questions have already been addressed.
  • Make a detailed plan with parts list including cost.
  • Start bookmarking Z car parts suppliers - there are many!
  • Remember these are 40 year old cars and will need restoration to be safe and drivable.
  • Join Classic Z Cars website and search there as well.
  • Become well informed about the swap before asking questions. People will be more inclined to answer informed questions as apposed to the I am too lazy to read/study questions.
  • Have some money. I stopped counting after $12k.
  • Read all of the new member FAQs.

Read, study, plan, execute the plan.

Edited by Miles
  • Like 1

Hey guys, I've been looking to putting a 350 in my 76 280z and I have a buddy with a low mile crate engine for cheap. The only thing keeping me from doing the swap is the fact that I can't find any swap kit parts or information (yes I used the search function) on using a regular 350 small block and a manual transmission like a Camaro T5. Plenty of info on LS1/T56 builds and plenty of info on 350/Th350 builds. Does the shifter not line up or something? Trans tunnel too small? No driveshaft parts? Why doesn't anyone swap in a classic 350 small block and a 5 speed?

You've got to be kidding.....

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/58824-how-many-sbc-v8-guys-are-using-manual-trannies/?view=findpost&p=538286&hl=wct5

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/57939-jtr-kit-sbc-and-wct5-mockup-in-chassis-pics-wquestions/?hl=wct5

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/31050-t5-tranny/?view=findpost&p=244874&hl=wct5

If you can't find that info you're not going to make it thru a v8 swap anyway.  Stick to the yamaHon whatever.

jt

• 4 weeks later...

I currently have an older 4 bolts 350 block with the vortec heads and and T-5 in my 74 260Z.  I used the JTR setup for the mounts and crossmember.  The crossmember bolts thru the floor pans on each side.  I used fender washers to help spread the load as much as possible.  I used a wildwood master cylinder (bolt pattern match exactly) with a braided line to the original slave cylinder on the T-5.  You will either have to buy the adaptor to couple this line to the slave cylinder or take the original fitting from the slave cylinder and modify it to allow the screw on line to couple to it the push and pin to slave cylinder.  The information regarding the piston size and other information is all in the JTR book.  It has many other items such as how to make all  of you original gauges work with the conversion.  The speedo is 5 mile hr off and the clock don't work.  Every other gauge works fine including the tach.  Blast to drive.  

post-3103-0-52547500-1381104341_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you truly can not find swap kits or information, just stop there, this is not the project for you. There is no way you will be able to figure out how to complete it, let alone drive it. How will you find out which pedal does what?!?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=datsun+z+car+v8+swap

• 5 weeks later...

Alright guys, those of you who actually put in input to the question, thanks, I read over the JTR site and missed the part about ordering crossmembers, I saw T56 but didn't see T5 listed until now when I went back to the site. 

To all you jackass's who think your hot shit, take a ******* hike. If your not gonna post anything helpful, write your comment on a piece of paper, tape it to a 2x4, and shove it up your ass. I'm a damn good mechanic and I've done much harder jobs. But I don't have my welder its in storage because I'm moving and if theres a bolt in ******* piece, I'd rather find it buy it and use it. Just because I don't reinvent the wheel doesn't mean I'm not competent to do such a thing.

And to the people who commented I should use the search function (and didn't talk a load of shit), I know, I've been on a lot of forums. I've tried searching for T5 swap but T5 is too short for search criteria, I searched a few other terms and didn't turn up much, but I appreciate the links. Thanks guys.