HybridZ

how fast???

Guest ZDreamin

Guest ZDreamin

hey all,

im new here, and i am wanting an early z car. . but i was just wondering how quick these can get with straight six power and also what miles per gallon can be expected with these cars?

thanks all

Guest Zpeed

well norm, got his 240z with a modified L28 with modified SU's to go i think 12s or 13s in the quater mile.. with a turbo u can do lower, i've heard of 11s 10s, all has to do with $$

With a mostly stock engine, you should get around 20-25mpg, really matters on driving style.. i've heard of people getting 29, mpg.. so its good enough

• 2 weeks later...

Most who build a good 2.8L engine with no turbo get mid to high 13's. Even some who put a 2.8L turbo in an early Z stay in the 13's. If you check out the quarter mile times from the V8 swaps, you'll see most are in the low 13's and 12's. Not all that much faster compared to their investment into a domestic motor.

Norm's 12.8 second runs are "Not Typical Results" and he is running 11:1 compression now, which requires an octain booster on every tank of gas.

From the factory the 240Z-280ZX can get high 14 second to 15 second quarter mile times using a manual transmission. Automatics are much slower.

The L28T conversions I know of do 12's easy and 11's with slicks. Andy's board may not be totally populated with L28ETs, but I'm running 13's with a stock motor and fuel system, Scotty MiZ ran 12's with a stock L28 motor, and Shane ran 11's on slicks with a stock L28 motor. The L28Ts, $ for $ can easily hold their own on the strip with the V8 conversions (the small blocks anyway ;) )

All three folks I mentioned are now building stronger motors with forgies, ARP stuff, etc.., and are just starting to explore the limits of this under-rated powerplant.

I know, I have no room to talk maybe, because my car is not finished, but a 12 second V8Z is a pretty mild NA buildup, with a good driver. Sure, the L28ET can do 12s and 11s too, but that's after a few mods, I'd think.

BTW, here's Andy's 1/4 mile times page:

http://grannypotts.freeservers.com/Times.html

I know that's in no way a statictical study of what engine in the Z makes for the fastest car. And what's interesting is that at this date, there are 2 V8s and 2 GN motors shown in the 10s.

• 2 weeks later...

That list of 1/4 mile times is interesting. I didn't know so many people got the L28 or L28Turbo to go that fast. Other's that claim to be running 12 or 13lbs of boost (250hp maybe?) can hardly break into the 13's. I think they don't have something tuned up right or their dual 12 inch subwoofer box is way too heavy!

:D

I wonder if putting on a G-nose on those 240Z's would make a big difference with the added aerodynamics... there is a lot of wind resistance at 80+ mph

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Actually, I run only straight 93 octane.

When I made my 12.8 pass I was runnning slicks and an open header.

At the time I was running 10.7:1CR on 93 octane with no problems.

I tried to run an 11.6:1 CR setup this past fall and winter with dreadful results.

I broke pistons three different times due to detonation.

I rebuilt it back at 10.5:1 CR and went to Rockingham a couple weeks ago.

The track surface sucked and with normal STREET tires my 60 fts. were way off at 2.16(normally I can pull 1.86-1.9 60 fts. on street tires) but the car still ran 13.29 @ 106.6 mph.

There is alot of power to made with the little 6 and SU's.

Later,norm

Guest ZDreamin

hey

unfortunately i'll be running some efi, i got a 76 280z, is it possible to pass emmisions in arizona with carbs??? but to my dismay it has a spun rod bearing, so its not in the best of shape, but i drove it around this morning at around 2am, pushing it hard, it was fun til i ran out of gas:( any suggestions for setups with a tight budget, any thoughts on me putting a 240crank and rods under my n47 block and head??? im new to all this i want some pep for cheap, thinking high compression but it seems that with the combo's made, its either mid 8s or mid 10s.

thanks again sean

I have a turbo engine, and it is stock with the addition of forged pistons and ARP rod bolts. No porting and with a hybrid turbo, intercooler and JWT ecu set-up, I run mid to high 12's at around 113 mph in a fully loaded ZX. I used drag ta's, spun them, and I mix in some 110 leaded and turned the boost up to 21 or so PSI.

As long as you stay out of the boost, it gets about 18 to 20 mpg.

I am going to be putting together an NA set-up in my 260 with two SU's and see what I can get out of it.

I have found thru experience that the turbo route is easier to go if you want to go fast and not break stuff. NA and fast means you need to spend time and money tweeking it, and you have to rev the engine higher to get the power. Steaper gears help too, but with a turbo engine, you don't need as much gear.

IN the end it all boils down to money. It is expensive no matter what way you go. Spend the money and do it right the first time, or you will end up doing it over, and over and over.

Good luck.