HybridZ

Tell me why I should or shouldnt go look at this ...

heavy85

http://decatur.craigslist.org/cto/4054326502.html

Dont know why but it caught my eye and has been for sale for a while so guessing could get for next to nothing. Its maybe 1.5 hrs drive away otherwise I would have taken a peek already.

Back seat could be handy for occassional kids haulage but seeing its been without a rear window for who knows how long may be too far gone? Can you even gets stuff for 2+2's or are they mostly the same? Not sure what would use it for. Maybe turn into daily driver or land speed racer or something?

If a 1.5 hour drive is stopping you from looking, I'm sure the $20,000 to make it a Land Speed Car might cause you some pause as well...

$20,000? I'll bet some of the guys on here got that much in their street Z. I always thought the S30 2+2 looked nice with a shaved rear end.

chris

Edited by NCchris

My current race Z while never finished is about there with not a lot to do without spending big $$. Looking for next project and came across this in a <$3k car search on Craiglist. Wasnt even looking for a Z just looked like a potential interesting new daily driver. If I would ever do it, speed events would be limited to the paved mile relatively low speed version not a full boat deal. Bucket list thing I want to do someday. I have a complete low mile stock brake setup from my 240, swaybars, old Tokico's (assuming ones from 240 fit), decent rims w/ nice tires, etc.

Was thinking if I could grab for a couple hundred and spend a couple grand could have a much better than family minivan driver. Maybe interesting enging swap?

Afraid the little crap may ruin budget like hatch seals, misc missing whatever, bolts and stuff.

Dunno looks like a lot of work .....

Edited by heavy85

If you want to go out and jerk off, set an unrealistically low "budget".

You want a record-setting Land Speed Racing in a Z, $20,000 IS a budget effort...it is NOT "Big Bucks" by any stretch of he imagination, that's for the car alone. Not the trailer, crew support vehicle, hotel bills (Motorhome optional) gas to and from the events....yadda yadda yadda...

You realise I'm crew on a Record-Holding Land Speed 2+2, right? Don't take my word for it, ask Burton Brown what he's got into his coupe holding he record in GT.

If you are going to open track paved mile events....they are covered in the first sentence. Maxton, a real LSR Event is definitely NOT "Low Speed"!

Keep it below 150, it stays relatively cheap. Go over 150...despite everybody owing 160mph "stock" S30's...it gets costlier.

Streeter, they make nice streeters! Nothing in back of the seat back is the same except driveline bits and tail lights (and not the surrounds!)

Edited by Tony D

I love my 2+2, sure I like the lines of the coupe better but when it comes to utility with the car the 2+2 reigns supreme. I daily drove mine for a year and a half driving people and carrying bunches of stuff. I actually only bought my 2+2 as a temporary measure in mind originally but ended up keeping it. I had a coupe first but had to sell it as I needed a DD and I couldn't DD the coupe. I then decided to pickup a 2+2 as a daily plus Zcar in one. I thought having a Z is better than having none at all. Needless to say here I still am with the 2+2 and its great. I can drive people in a pinch (which I do quite frequently actually) and I can store stuff.

With the back seats folded down you can carry quite a bit of stuff and I've routinely driven 3 or 4 people in the car with no issues. I would say most parts, 90 plus percent save a few 2+2 only pieces are interchangeable with the coupes which makes it easy to work on the car. All in all they are great cars and can look as good as coupes/go as fast as coupes if you mod them right.

With all Z's I think the most important question is is the car worth saving/working on and how much are you willing to invest in it.

Heres mine

280z7513_zpsecd4206e.jpg

280z67513_zpsf6358431.jpg

280z57513_zps3ad85628.jpg

280z37513_zps872bbf76.jpg

280z77513_zpsded851ba.jpg

280z47513_zpsc488251b.jpg

280z27513_zps03492e0f.jpg 

Edited by sito

On more than one occasion I've put multiple-thousand mile trips on mine! 18,000 miles in around two-weeks driving time in one instance...car was running two drivers at 80+ mph towing a trailer and only stopping for maybe 20 minutes for tank attendance (fill the car, drain ours!)

A low-residue jerky diet made it work! That car was only shut off maybe 20 minutes total in every 3 hours, otherwise it was towing that trailer, with three people inside, at 80mph between fillups.

It was LeMans, just from Tawas Michigan to Riverside CA!

Back to the car mentioned.  Looks like a rust bucket to me - especially since the hatch glass is missing.  I'd look some more and pick up a driver for $2k or less rather than have a totally unknown - (are all the parts really there?) 

I got an early model 240Z mostly assembled in better shape than this for around the same price.  I'd pass and keep on looking.