HybridZ

Help complete this 5 speed trans

bfg

Like the title says, I'm trying to get the parts to finish this transmission to put into my '75 280z. I'm not entirely sure what year it came out of but it looks to be from a later 280z. If anyone has any info on how to identify it that would be great.

As far as I can tell all I need are the shifter components and clutch fork/TO Bearing components.

Also, if anyone could tell me if I can use any of the parts from my stock 4 speed I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

20130921_0915_zpsc7f16ec1.jpg

Bell Housing Number

20130921_0914_zps10554c61.jpg

20130921_0913_zps96015e3d.jpg

Inside Bell Housing

20130921_0910_zps5dbcafd8.jpg

20130921_0907_zps29d86536.jpg

20130921_0911_zpscb975413.jpg

20130921_0912_zpsba3d879f.jpg

You can buy the clutch fork new, so you just really need a collar and the shift lever. I think a 4 speed lever will work, as long as its not the early kind. and you can also probably use the collar from your 4 speed, you just need to buy the bearing and clutch/pressure plate for the "4 speed".

Everything that's used with your stock four speed will work with that five speed.  That five speed is essentially identical to the four speed except for the fifth gear.  You will lose the top gear switch though, that activates the solenoid for your vacuum advance.  You can just bypass the solenoid to have vacuum advance in all gears.  It's described in the Emissions chapter.

If you replace any clutch parts, just make sure they have the same dimensions as what's on the engine now.  Cheap parts that are easy to replace are the pilot bushing, and the front and rear seals on the transmission.  If you're going to put a new clutch set in, you might as well do the rear main seal on the engine also, if you have the flywheel resurfaced.

The super cheap swap would be to just move the shift lever over and re-use all of the old parts.  You'll want to take some Scothbrite or similar to the main shaft to make sure the pilot bushing works right, and the clutch disc locates freely.  Looks rusty.

Don't forget to check the speedo gear.  It will swap also.

Edited by NewZed

Like the title says, I'm trying to get the parts to finish this transmission to put into my '75 280z. I'm not entirely sure what year it came out of but it looks to be from a later 280z. If anyone has any info on how to identify it that would be great.

As far as I can tell all I need are the shifter components and clutch fork/TO Bearing components.

Also, if anyone could tell me if I can use any of the parts from my stock 4 speed I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

20130921_0915_zpsc7f16ec1.jpg

Bell Housing Number

20130921_0914_zps10554c61.jpg

20130921_0913_zps96015e3d.jpg

Inside Bell Housing

20130921_0910_zps5dbcafd8.jpg

20130921_0907_zps29d86536.jpg

20130921_0911_zpscb975413.jpg

20130921_0912_zpsba3d879f.jpg

That's an early 5/speed trans, i have handled and sold several dozen Z car transmissions in my time between 1988 to 2013. I also have clutch forks, throw/out bearings and sleeves.I also have several new clutch plates and disc to match. Check your messages p/m sent.

Everything that's used with your stock four speed will work with that five speed.  That five speed is essentially identical to the four speed except for the fifth gear.  You will lose the top gear switch though, that activates the solenoid for your vacuum advance.  You can just bypass the solenoid to have vacuum advance in all gears.  It's described in the Emissions chapter.

If you replace any clutch parts, just make sure they have the same dimensions as what's on the engine now.  Cheap parts that are easy to replace are the pilot bushing, and the front and rear seals on the transmission.  If you're going to put a new clutch set in, you might as well do the rear main seal on the engine also, if you have the flywheel resurfaced.

The super cheap swap would be to just move the shift lever over and re-use all of the old parts.  You'll want to take some Scothbrite or similar to the main shaft to make sure the pilot bushing works right, and the clutch disc locates freely.  Looks rusty.

Don't forget to check the speedo gear.  It will swap also.

Thank you that helps me a lot. One question: where could I find out how to bypass the solenoid for vacuum advance? I have a general idea of how it works from looking at the owners manual but I couldn't find anything online about it.

Zentech- I checked my messages and didn't find it so I sent you one instead.