HybridZ

Flywheel and clutch the wrong size?

Hello all, I drive a 1977 280z 2+2 N/A, N47 head on N42 block. I was changing the clutch last night and in the process of trying to put on the new pressure plate, I found out that it is too big, so is the new disk. I drive a 2+2, so shouldn't I have the large disk and pressure plate? I have checked all over hybridz and motorsport auto (the z store) and I am positive. I remember the previous owner saying that he blew the motor so swapped one in from another 280z (he wasn't specific and I was too stupid to ask if it was a coupe or 2+2). Could it have been a coupe which would make it have the smaller kit?

My main questions are:

1) Could I swap the larger flywheel on and continue on?

2) If I do swap the flywheel would the started be in the wrong place (too close)?

3) Would a turbo flywheel work ?

Thanks for any help, responses, or recommendations!

The 280z 2+2 should have a 240mm flywheel like the turbo cars. The PO probably didn't know about it or didn't bother to swap it over.

Any 240mm flywheel will work, I'm using a flywheel from an 80's truck. The problem is when you mix and match the throwout collars and pressure plates. Off the top of my head the correct collar will be shorter than the one for a 225mm because the 240mm pressure plate is thicker. There's so many different collars that were used over the years it's hard to identify them unless you know what you're looking for though.

If you use the wrong collar, you won't be able to disengage the clutch. For a long time I was using a rounded off 4" bolt and larger master to get extra throw on the slave cylinder.

btw make sure you have a throwout collar that matches your clutch/pressure plate.  There's a lot of confusion out there but as long as the collar is for the pressure plate that you're using it will work just fine.

Thanks luseboy. I guess I will find one from a turbo model or a 2+2 280z so that it fits.

Ya the 240mm isn't a bad idea.  That said, people are now recommending the 225 for higher performance applications due to it's lighter weight and more centered inertia (if that's the correct term, i'm sure it's not though). I went with a 240 for my car but have no feedback yet because the engine is sitting in my parts room waiting for my car to be ready for it.  It sure does look strong though, if that says anything  :icon44: