HybridZ

Can someone inform me what this piece from Mikuni carbs is called?

lwrnclightner

Hello, I am undertaking trying to correct some pretty shoddy work done by the PO of the 78' 280z I just landed. As ugly as the craftsmenship is, believe it or not the car runs, not like it should but I did drive it home from SC to MD.

Anyway, I just received the O Rings but I think the pieces in question should be replaced also while I'm at it. Can someone tell me what it's called so that I can call Todd at Wolfscreek to try and order, (Todd does not have the time or patience to figure out what the heck a Noob is talking about). Oh did I mention that I have absolutely no working knowledge of our Z's inner workings, but I do know that since I was 7 or 8 back in the mid 70's that the Z was the car I would own one day.

I have one now, and while she needs some love, I'm so excited to have something to play with. So let the labor of love begin!!!!

Any help and any do's and dont's while I attempt to learn my Carbs is greatly anticipated and needed.

The  piece that I need to identify and find out where to replace them from ( IT goes between the Carb and the Intake manifold)

post-41568-0-75877300-1382238198_thumb.jpg

A couple shots of what I'm working with and trying to correct

post-41568-0-87032200-1382238225_thumb.jpg

post-41568-0-39300200-1382238247_thumb.jpg

post-41568-0-10917400-1382238273_thumb.jpg

post-41568-0-54872100-1382238296_thumb.jpg

Over all she is in fairly good condition, I have identified the expected rust, so I will be cutting and patching a little too.

post-41568-0-14065000-1382238347_thumb.jpg

Thanks,

Lawrence

Oh, you're cross posting....

Argh.

Check your post at the other site. Comprehensive answers including sourcing was done there.

Wished you put the photos up first... Would have gotten you on the right track earlier!

http://www.zcar.com/forum/10-70-83-tech-discussion-forum/337833-mikuni-part-identity-how-advice-needed.html

Probably get mor traffic on this posting it I n the actual "fuel delivery" forum, and not the FAQ portion of the site archive!

Edited by Tony D

Pull the intake and exhaust manifold and put the studs back in the head

as it was designed. The PO already screwed your intake by putting those

insulators on there. They are the wrong ones. Get the weber ones from

Pierce. You have Solex but uses same insulator as weber.

As you are new you may be better to sell the whole set up and put SU's

back on. Eveything I see there including the carbs and manifold look like junk.

It will take some time and $$$$$ to fix it all.

Thanks everyone who chimed in. I was informed exactly what and why these isolators/insulators where used. However I have also discovered that because the manifold was modified a little I can just go with the correct insulator for my carbs.

And srgunz I can't give up, I'm just getting started LOL>  The car runs so like T-Bone states, I can only imagine how she is going to run once I get em rebuilt and correctly mounted etc. Now I have to go about learning how to properly tune these babies.

But it's all love for me. A learning process for sure.

Thanks again Fella's

Lawrence