HybridZ

Is this Z worth the price?

bowl of seeds

Hey whats up everyone I've been searching the market for a 240z again and found this one on craigslist about 15 minutes from where I live.

Apparently it is the Midnight Boba KA24de 240z I've seen at one point in time a while ago. The current owner has it listed for 1500.. so earlier today I went to go check it out from what it looks like it needs quite a bit of work. For example the passenger rear strut hub assembly is bent and the front passenger tension rod is bent along with the body ears where it mounts needs to be rewelded back or something becase its hanging a bit.. there is no keys to the car is has one of those electronically controlled lock mechanisms where the door pops open for you. the engine seems to be the same motor that was turboed it started up after a few tries (it was sitting for a while) and motor seemed okay but definitely needs motor mounts. The transmission will not shift into gear for some reason he claims it is the shifting forks where the shifter is at popped out all you need to do is pop it back into place? He said he has a spare tranny but will only throw it in for the right price. It is also backed up in tags its around 140 to register not including tranfer fees.. Im just wondering if the asking price is fair, I do remember reading that the guy who built the car did it for about 1 grand? It would be nice to get in contact with him to know a bit more history.. I have a 280z 2+2 in the back yard i could maybe take parts from, like the rear hub assembly and tension rods etc. But are the 2+2 parts interchangeable? I'm in need of some advice here just incase I overpay. any input is appreciated.

Here is a link to the add.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/4153311317.html

He sent me some pics I should have taken some of the damage how stupid of me.

Ill ask him for pics of the damage and upload them later on.

post-20764-0-96865800-1383857088_thumb.jpeg

post-20764-0-73750200-1383857094_thumb.jpeg

post-20764-0-48188300-1383857098_thumb.jpeg

post-20764-0-73090100-1383857101_thumb.jpeg

post-20764-0-54496600-1383857107_thumb.jpeg

post-20764-0-07069200-1383857118_thumb.jpeg

wow that car got totally wrecked. 

ok so how do you know it needs motor mounts? does it shake violently? becuase when I first bought my 240sx, the guy said it needed motor mounts, turned out one of the injectors wasn't firing and it was running on 3 injectors. Absolutely nothing to do with motor mounts. 

Stuff on it is bent, that should already be a no no. You can find straight Z's for less than what he's asking. 

Shift fork loose? c'mon, you can pop it into place right then and there, the tranny is probably F****d from when the turbo was on the motor and it was making a ton on HP. Guy probably drove it like a jackass. 

Most drive train parts are interchangeable, but I would stay away from that car period. Unless it was free. It bent, engine doesn't run, and the tranny is on it's way out, back fee's etc....

yeah, steer clear.   It's frame torqued.  See the passenger side front fender in front of the door? it's been pushed over at least 1/4" for that interference.  Just from the picts, at the MINIMUM I can see it needs both front fenders, Hood, left sugar scoop, headlight assy, both lower fenders, front lip, Signal lighting, maybe grille.  If you could get those at a JY you'll spend $1000 bucks, assuming there's no shipping. 

Also, That rust isn't good.  If you see that much there, then likely there's a good amount hiding all over the car.  Those panels from tabco were I think $65 each if I remember correctly.  How are the floor pans,  the rear deck, the rear arches?  Get a weak magnet and do the bondo test.  

I'm thinking that car is probably a junker, parts car at best. Sure it can be fixed, but its parts could help another bunch of cars live a bit longer. keep  looking, especially in cali and the southwest craigslist sites.  It's worth paying a bit more for a lot better condition.

wow that car got totally wrecked. 

i know right its so sad to see it now

ok so how do you know it needs motor mounts? does it shake violently? becuase when I first bought my 240sx, the guy said it needed motor mounts, turned out one of the injectors wasn't firing and it was running on 3 injectors. Absolutely nothing to do with motor mounts. 

The motor mount rubber is cracked and coming apart, but now that you mention it I have a buddy with a 240sx and he had the same problem. Ended up being his injectors and fuel filter were clogged and a faulty FPR also.

Shift fork loose? c'mon, you can pop it into place right then and there, the tranny is probably F****d from when the turbo was on the motor and it was making a ton on HP. Guy probably drove it like a jackass. 

I honestly didn't believe him but I dont know much about KAs and my buddy that does wasn't able to go with me at the time. Supposedly hes the second owner after the original guy who built it.

Most drive train parts are interchangeable, but I would stay away from that car period. Unless it was free. It bent, engine doesn't run, and the tranny is on it's way out, back fee's etc....

The engine is running actually its just the transmission that wont go into gear thats why it wasn't able to move, It is stuck in neutral. From what I could tell the tension rod needed to be swapped out because it was bent and the ear mounts for the tc rod on the chassis rewelded back. Thats whats up on the fron the tie rod and knuckle were fine I would swap out the knuckles with some shorter ones I cut up and welded.

yeah, steer clear.   It's frame torqued.  See the passenger side front fender in front of the door? it's been pushed over at least 1/4" for that interference.  Just from the picts, at the MINIMUM I can see it needs both front fenders, Hood, left sugar scoop, headlight assy, both lower fenders, front lip, Signal lighting, maybe grille.  If you could get those at a JY you'll spend $1000 bucks, assuming there's no shipping. 

I could get the parts from my 280z I have everything minus the hood im making one out of wood since the 280 was supposed to be a drift car :icon56: who needs front end cosmetics anyway?  :icon12:

Also, That rust isn't good.  If you see that much there, then likely there's a good amount hiding all over the car.  Those panels from tabco were I think $65 each if I remember correctly.  How are the floor pans,  the rear deck, the rear arches?  Get a weak magnet and do the bondo test.  

I had a rusty 240z before so I know the usual rust spots it seemed to have the engine and interior painted rear deck was rusty so were the rockers..

I'll check it out again and try the magnet trick to see.

I'm thinking that car is probably a junker, parts car at best. Sure it can be fixed, but its parts could help another bunch of cars live a bit longer. keep  looking, especially in cali and the southwest craigslist sites.  It's worth paying a bit more for a lot better condition.

He told me he would do a grand and deliver it to my house but it wouldnt come without the extra transmission... I wonder if there is a way to come in contact with the original builder to ask his opinion on the previous state of the car.. I'm still looking this is the first z I went to look at either way.

Edited by bowl of seeds

I wouldn't take that project on if he paid me. Even if you ever 'finish' it, it'll never be right again. You would be better off picking up some sheet metal, body tools, and the body measurements section of the FSM than buying that. In California, there's always a running s30 for a grand within 4 hours' drive. Instead of trying to get this one cheaper, consider buying a plane ticket for a better example instead.

I know a 240Z that for sale in my neighborhood ( thread : Should I buy another Z) . If you interest you can come up here and see. Bishop area, just take 395 all the way to Bishop. He asked for 3 K but I don't really intend to buy it so I didn't do a offer. Let me know. I am pretty sure he may let it go around 1500 - 1700.