HybridZ

Need help selecting nutserts and allen head bolts for ZG flares

brianZortiz

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/47525-how-to-mount-them-there-zg-flares/

Ok, I'm ready to install zg flares and need some help selecting nut inserts and allen head bolts. I was looking at A.Hoke write-up and want to replicate his mount kit since he no longer has them for sale. Is there a way you guys can help me choose from; http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=pgtwro or other sources. I am bad with measurements, standard or mm. Hope some of you can help out. 

Thanks

Thanks for the input guys, I will go ahead and use 1/4" combo insert/bolt. The question I have now is what material thickness do I need? I know the car's sheetmetal gauage is 16-20, which is .0359"-.0598." So going through macmaster carr I should get these?

Thread

1/4"-20

Material Thcikness

0.020"-0.080"

Diameter   ------------==>

0.332"                            ] Body

Length      ------------==>

0.625"

Diamter       ------->

0.475"                     ] Flange

Length        ------->

0.058"

Max Installed length.

0.440"

I am sorry for the rook questions, but hate buying something that wont work. I just need some assurance.

I will check out Harbor freight also.

Thanks again.

Edited by brianZortiz

I will be using Harbor Freight nutserts on mine, simply because they are cheap and easy-they are aluminum so they are easier to work with (and drill out if you goof).  And don't call yourself a rook-I've owned a Z for over 20 years and I feel like I'm a stupid question factory.  We just don't want to screw up our babies or spend more on return shipping than necessary.

To put on my slicks, I have to adjust my camber all the way in, "roll" my fenders, perfect the wheel offset and run stock brakes.  It was the AZC brakes that were the straw that broke the camel's back.  As soon as I put those on, I had to put spacers on to run 15" wheels (drag wheels).  That forced me into flares.  But on the up side:  flares should allow me to be sloppier on my setup.  I shouldn't HAVE to adjust my camber all the time unless I just want to.  Plus, I am so traction limited with the 16" wheels for autox and with 9" wide slicks at drag.  With flares, I can use the group buy sized 17s.  Just want more options.  I'm looking at 10.5" slicks and am starting with 275/17s with the option of going all the way to 315/17s.  Also looking at a set of 275 MT Drag Radials for use at the 2-mile drag strip in Dalton, GA this coming Fall-hoping to find my air resistance to hp limit 150?. Keeping tires in the stock wells has been a major PITA.  I want the freedom to run whatever I want.  Now, there may be times when I don't "fill" the wheelwell, but I'm not flaring for looks.  Sorry my work computer is stuck in italics mode.