HybridZ

P90 L28ET exhaust/ intake manifold gasket preference

BMAC

I purchased a Nissan USA exhaust manifold gasket about a year ago, Tony, and it was the paper type. Metal core, paper on both sides.

I have also purchased a 1972 240Z Fel-pro gasket and it was the graphite type, square exhaust ports, but had no notches for injectors nor the 4-bolt intake manifold pattern.

The 1983 L28ET fel-pro gasket is a paper gasket.

The Beck/Arnley gasket is a graphite composite type with crush rings on the exhaust side

The Ishino is a graphite composite type.

I wonder if these sellers, and maybe Nissan too, don't have multiple sources for what they sell under their names.  I couldn't even find the Beck/Arnley gasket on their e-catalog (which they seem to think is fantastic) unless I had the part number first, 037-3936, and the picture may or may not be correct.  But it doesn't show the metal crush ring.  Looks like paper too.

http://www.beckcatalog.com/#

http://www.beckarnley.com/beckarnleycatalog.html

Looks better on Amazon.  Same company, different picture - http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Arnley-037-3936-Exhaust-Manifold/dp/B000CAVLYC  Looks like no way to tell what you're getting, over the internet.

p.s. Is "graphite" really the material used on some of the gaskets or did someone just give it that name because it's black and looks fibrous, like graphite fiber composites?

Edit - some of the parts people refer might just be NLA.  There's a 1978 Beck/Arnley 037-3951 gasket, wholesaler closeout, on Rockauto that does not come up on BeckArnley's catalog (above).  The "good" gaskets may not be available anymore as normal stock items, only NOS.

Edited by NewZed

The parts stores online offer more than a few different suppliers.

Felpro will be brown paper while victor reinz and ishino will be sweet.

Victor Reinz is sweet for the intake/exhaust gasket but their recent head gaskets have less holes than the ishinos of a couple years ago.

Edited by HowlerMonkey

All of my 280zxt gaskets I have bought have been the paper Fel-pro type. However I just purchased a Fel-pro intake/exhaust gasket for my L24 (E88 head) and received one was the graphite type. Not sure why they'd do that! I always had sealing issues with those paper gaskets on my L28et until I used some gasket sealant.. messy stuff but it seemed to do the trick for now.

What does "Nissan USA Exhaust Manifold Gasket" mean?

The Graphite Composite was specifically for the L28ET in 82/83 (maybe 81)

Beck Arnley usually is pretty good about sourcing OEM Suppliers, and if they have a graphite composite, then it's OEM Supplier.

I have never seen it applied to the N/A L28, only the L28ET. If you go in and aren't specific, you will get an N/A gasket.

Then again, Nissan Japan supports things differently than NMCNA, and they may source locally now through US Suppliers and have determined on their own as a sales company with some autonomy that a paper gasket is 'equivalent' and that is all they stock for obsolete vehicles they choose to no longer support.

They are available in Japan, from Nissan. Stacks and Stacks of NEW gaskets show up at the flea markets and swap meets all the time (with appropriate mark up...)

• 3 weeks later...

Victor Ryans hands down I've been using these for years I never had an issue my dad has always used the same gasket as well for his Z's he uses a dab of copper Silicon on all the corners I have tried everything else and no luck you can order from autozone make sure you torque on the bolts criss crossed