HybridZ

How should an OBX act like after preload is set

nash542001

So the diff is out of the car? I tested my clutch LSD breakaway with 280Z side stubs. Just stuck one in a vise with the splines up. Set the LSD on that one. Stuck the other one on top. Took a piece of metal 3' long and drilled a couple holes in it, and bolted it to the stub, then put a torque wrench on the metal to measure the resistance. Basically copied Gordon Glasgow's idea, but using the short stub axles from a 280Z instead of the long axles from a roadster's solid rear axle. If you don't want to actually measure the resistance, just make yourself a lever and pull and skip the torque wrench.

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/lsd4.asp

Edited by JMortensen

Ok, so I can test the breakaway away on this type of LSD like the clutch type. I thought the helical was different and would not be able to test that way. If it acts the same as a clutch type in operation I will be fine and check it the way JMortensen describe. I just wasn't sure on exactly how it could be tested for correct operation before install. I will try that as soon as I get a chance.

Have you given it a generous slathering of gear oil? Mine was quite hard to turn by hand dry as well. I assume you have stub axles in it? Try putting a screwdriver through the studs and turning it like that. 

As for measuring breakaway torque, I'm not sure how consistent a reading you get given the "torque sensing" nature of helical diffs. I thought the more differential action they see, the tighter they lock up. 

My experience sounds similar to yours and mine works fine.

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx