HybridZ

Prefab brake lines for 240SX conversion

Hi.  Has anyone found a source for pre-fabricated brakelines when doing 240SX rear brake conversion?  I'm finally getting around to doing the conversion on my 260 V8Z.  I purchased caliper brackets and ebrake bracket from Ross Corrigan a few years ago when he was still with us, but made the mistake of not purchasing brake lines from him when they were available.  The guy that has taken over the modern motorsports site has some stuff available, but not the brakelines.

Reading the forums, there are multiple opinions about the right way to fabricate the lines and what works and what doesn't work.  I don't particularly want to fabricate them if I can purchase them instead.  I think I have everything else I need to do the job over the holiday break (am also going to change out bearings and shocks while everything is apart):

*Pair of CNC brackets from Modern Motorsports

*Rebuilt 240SX calipers & pads

*11-3/8" rotors from 1984 300ZX

*280ZX master cylinder, old style (1980)

*Proportioning valve 

*New inner bearings

*New outer bearings

*New seals

*New shocks

*New locknuts.

I'll buy a beer for the first guy that sends me the part # and vendor for the correct brake lines to use!

Todd C

It's a 10mm banjo on one side and a 10mm inverted flare female on the other. For ease I would use early 240sx brake hoses. If you want to use stockish parts, you can order the right and left from o'reileys for ~16$ a piece (BH38690 for left and BH38691 for rear). Make sure you look at how the hose sits during suspension compression and at full droop, what you want to avoid is the lines rubbing against each other or against the inner wheel.

I did that at first and I just now ordered some Agency Powers rear 240sx 1989-1993 stainless steel braided and covered brake lines for ~50$ just for that extra little level of protection.

Your alternative option is to run a banjo fitting and adapt it to m10x1.0 and run hardline down to the stock mounting location on the strut and use an m10x1 to m10x1 brake line stock replacement, available also at your autoparts store or you can buy uncovered ss versions from MSA. 

As long as you don't bottom out your suspension on launches the hardline on the car shouldn't be a problem. If you felt so inclined, you could move it a bit with new hardline to be away from wheel during compression.

Edited by seattlejester

Yup as far as I have encountered. M10x1.0 female inverted flare. You can technically use any brake kit from most japanese manufacturers as long as it is a 10mm/3/16 banjo on one end and M10x1.0 female inverted on the other, european/british cars tend to like to do a bubble flare for their hydraulic fittings. The only problem will lie with the length that each manufacturer considers stock. The 240sx length is perfect for full droop, but a little long under compression for example. If you are at a static height with coil overs running a shorter line might be preferable. Or running a longer line that is clamped at strategic points may work too.

Edit: just noticed that this same topic was asked less then a week ago 4 or 5 topics down. Would be a good idea to take a gander next time :).

Edited by seattlejester

Yup as far as I have encountered. M10x1.0 female inverted flare. You can technically use any brake kit from most japanese manufacturers as long as it is a 10mm/3/16 banjo on one end and M10x1.0 female inverted on the other, european/british cars tend to like to do a bubble flare for their hydraulic fittings. The only problem will lie with the length that each manufacturer considers stock. The 240sx length is perfect for full droop, but a little long under compression for example. If you are at a static height with coil overs running a shorter line might be preferable. Or running a longer line that is clamped at strategic points may work too.

Edit: just noticed that this same topic was asked less then a week ago 4 or 5 topics down. Would be a good idea to take a gander next time :).

Yes it was and I provided a list of possible hose configurations including a how to video.

http://www.classictube.com sells DOT braided brake lines in a variety of lengths with female -3 AN fittings on the ends. They also sell a variety of -3AN adapter fittings, including M10x1 female inverted flare fittings for connection to the hard line, and 10mm banjo fittings for the caliper. Pick and play...

Nigel

Great information and clear.  The body of work on this topic on the hybridz site is extensive, but differing posts had different information.  I want to get it right the first time, and now have the information to do that.

I believe I owe seattlejester a beer!

Todd C