HybridZ

hi idle

stony

I just got done swapping my motor in my 280 Z. Same motor from one car to the next swap intake manifold exhaust manifold other than that its just a new long block. When I started it up it does not want to idle below 2000 rpm. I'm figuring I have a wire hooked up backwards or something but I can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated

Thought this was about the RB26DETT in your sig.  If you're using the stock 280Z throttle body and intake, there are many possibilities, from sticking throttle blade to hanging throttle return dash pot to bad BCDD diaphragm to stuck AAR to no power to the AAR (although it would only hold the idle up until the coolant got warm) to cracked PCV hose (including the one from the valve cover) to no dip stick in the dip stick tube, and more.

If you're using the stock 77 ECU, there are no sensors that control idle directly.  Don't forget that advanced timing will speed idle.  77 had a solenoid valve, controlled by a switch on the transmission, that only let vacuum to the distributor advance when in top gear.  If you connected the hoses wrong you might have more advance than planned and a faster idle.

I ran a 76 intake and exhaust on a 78 round port head for a couple of years.  Shouldn't matter.  The exhaust manifold can be an issue but only if you use the round port exhaust on a square port head.  It blocks the edges of the ports.  But you don't have that problem.

If you go through my list you might find something.  I've the same problem when I forgot to reconnect the AAR power.  Without power to the internal heating element it takes a long time to heat up and close.  And the connector is jammed up against the hose so it can look connected when it's really not.

Actually, I've had high idle problems from five of the things on that list.

Edited by NewZed

AFM , or idle screw or , brake hose leak. Wires problems? AFM problem? All that can cause from a swap. I swap couple cars in life to now. Common problems is wire , when you putting new wire in your car . Should have keep the old one even it is rusty.

Edited by 9rider