HybridZ

Brake duct placement

Do brake ducts need to face directly in the direction of travel, or can they simply be located in a high-pressure area?

What john said.  Air movement is caused by pressure differentials- Flowing from high pressure to low pressure.  As long as the "feeding" side of the duct has more pressure than the intended "exiting" side, air will flow through it.

Let's see some pictures of your ducting (both the inlet and outlet sides).

I'm in the process of upgrading my font brakes (again).  I've been running the Stage II brakes that Mike Gibson used to sell (11.5 x 0.81 rotor, Outlaw 2800 calipers),  but now I want to change from running autocross to running track day events.  So, I am upgrading to 11.5 x 1.25 directional vane rotors and adding cooling ducts.

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

Let's see some pictures of your ducting (both the inlet and outlet sides).

I'm in the process of upgrading my font brakes (again). I've been running the Stage II brakes that Mike Gibson used to sell (11.5 x 0.81 rotor, Outlaw 2800 calipers), but now I want to change from running autocross to running track day events. So, I am upgrading to 11.5 x 1.25 directional vane rotors and adding cooling ducts.

I found with V8 car on track, track pads + your target rotors + Outlaw 4000 calipers + 2.5" single hoses from airdam to modified backing plate keeps everything happy. My experience says use the heavier duty rotors over the 'light weight' ones. I havent found a way the hoses dont rub the tire at higher steering angles. To the point I remove the hoses for autox so they dont get torn up too quickly.

I was boiling fresh "Blue" fluid at WHP-East (Phoenix, was Firebird) this weekend.

I have 3" holes in my front dam.

Thinking about making headlight buckets into caliper feeding ducts.

You just have holes in airdam with no hoses to direct the air? If so those holes are doing nothing for brake cooling IMO.

This didn't rub and worked great until I added another 100hp and a really short track.

Can't find my pic of them installed.

post-1894-0-52005100-1389789810_thumb.jpg

3" aluminum flanges from Aircraft Spruce, up and over wheel arch and direct to rotor center.

Edited by duragg