HybridZ

Machining Stub Axle Flange to Correct Runout

Miles

John at Arizona Z Car recommends machining the stub axle flanges to eliminate runout. I am getting 0.003" runout on one stub axle flange  and 0.002" on the other stub axle flange. This is causing rotor runout  along the same radial as the flange runout which is causing the rotor to drag on the pads at the high spots on the rotors.

The other choice is to buy used stub axles  which could have the same problem.

Anyone see a problem with machining the stub axle flanges to correct 0.002" to 0.003" runout?

You can machine the stubs, but the other solution is to shim the rotors. If you go that route, get some .001 and .002 shims from www.mcmaster.com and then do your thing. It's a PITA, but not the end of the world.

Even if the hub is perfectly true, the hat/rotor assy will probably still be off because when you torque the bolts it puts some force on the rotor mounting holes. The other option with a trued up hub would be to cut the rotors, but brake lathes are usually not perfect either.

I am assuming you are referring to the rear flanges that were original meant for the drums. I didn't even measure mine, I just took the stub axles off and sent them to the machine shop to have machined. I figured Arizona Z knew what they were doing , so I didn't question it. I don't think much had to come off and I haven't had any issues.

Measuring .003 out of flat on the flange will mean that further out on a 12" rotor -it will be worse. It's a PITA , but you probably need to do it.