HybridZ

Just painted my car, now how do I make it even?

mr_han_solo

Hello,

Just finished shooting my car with some satin green paint. However, the paint looks really uneven. It's all good to the touch but you can clearly see where I started and stopped. My question is, how do I even all of this out? After my first coat I tried sanding with 600grit, but It ended up making the paint look bad. I was thinking of trying 1000 or 1500 grit, but I wanted to check in before I did that. I will be shooting the car with a flat clearcoat, so it that takes care of these problems I'll just do that instead of sanding. Hoping someone can give me some tips.

IMAGE_43.jpg

That blotchiness will show through the clear. 

What i would recommend would be to block sand with wet 400 to 600 grit.

What size gun tip are you using for your base? What kind of gun?

What kind of paint are you using? 

Are you using reducer and how much? 

What's the weather like? How Old is the paint? 

If you can answer that it would make it a little easier to point you in the right direction. 

All those things as well as others can have effect on your paint. 

To me it looks like you may have not used enough reducer or your reducer is drying to fast? Also your application may be too thin and therefore drying before you can get an even coat. 

The underneath layer, filler, primer, can also have an effect but based off the spray pattern that doesnt look like the case. 

Also, flat clear is very hard to lay. Tends to dry up fast and has to be layed in one pass. If you dont get it right, there is no fixing it. You have to start over. Just FYI. 

I, personally, go all the way from side to side when spraying. Maintaining the same distance from the panel and consistent 50% overlap is the key to a uniform base coat. U prolly just need to put another good coat over it before clear.

Very true. If its a solid base color. you might be able to get away with that. However, since you already sanded it, post some pics from up close. You have to look at the texture first before you go any further. 

If its a metallic you will not be able to do this, if will show through to the end. The metallic flakes will not spread properly, they will be textured and there will be lighter and darker spots, in most cases. 

Just telling you from experience, if you take shortcuts now, it will most likely show through the end. This is the best and easiest time to fix anything. I've been through it, and i learned my lesson after a couple full car paint jobs that had to be redone.

Used some left over primer I had from my Camaro. Evercoat durabuild. Not more than two years old. The color coat is an enamel. New paint. I sanded the original paint, then primed it. I wet sanded the primer with 400grit then applied the basecoat. Wet sanded the basecoat with 400 and then put on the second (current) coat.

Here is the close up of the paint:

IMAGE_47.jpg

It looks to me that he isn't atomizing the paint fully. Either inadequate air supply, gun adjustment problem, or a myriad of other things leading to that. User error being up the list as well. 

What's your air supply looking like?

How big is your compressor? How much CFM does it put out?

Are you using a HVLP gun? If so, these often require much more CFM to properly atomize paints than the average household compressor can efficiently put out.

But the paints too thin, and the particle size is too large. Either it's the air, the gun, or the user.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea