HybridZ

Replacing Rear View Mirror: Anyone have any recommendations?

When stripping the lining off my cars ceiling I had to unscrew the mirror mount... it crumbled to dust... I'm not wanting to drop $40 for a new one off ebay that may or may not be in decent condition so I'm wondering what other people have done. I've never had a vehicle that came stock with an adhesive windshield mounted mirror, but I'm feeling like that may be my only option...

This is an issue that's on my "Investigate at the Junkyard" list as well.

Our mirror is in fine shape but I'd like a more modern unit that incorporates the map/dome lights into the mirror mount, where the light might actually prove useful. (Also, in our case, we're using a roof mounted antenna which requires moving the original dome lamp anyway...)

I've yet to seriously look into this, so I have no specific recommendations or suggestions other than to look at 80/early90's cars for potential donors.

Later units will probably have all sorts of extra electronic gizmos incorporated; I'm not interested but maybe you are.

Something like the unit in my 2nd gen RX7 is what I'm talking about but as I said, I'm not familiar with the structure up there yet, so I'm not sure what I have to work with. 

I've been looking at BMW E30 rear views to get an integrated map light. The mounting is the same (pivot ball within the housing, instead of in the arm) as the S30s, but I've yet to compare them side to side. Another issue is the wiring... In the BMW the wiring actually goes through the arm, instead of being routed outside of it as is typical in many cars today.

This may or may not be a problem, depending on how the wiring is routed inside the case. The ideal thing would be to drill out the S30 mirror arm for the wiring, but this would be far more work than most are prepared to do considering the curvature of the arm...

I have the mirror, the mount just fell apart when I took it off and ebay wants like $40-50 for a used one... I was hoping to maybe upgrade it to a more modern style -- I guess I'll go junkyard hopping...

Edited by Midri

Hmm I could probably design and print up a new mounting for you.  Shouldn't be too hard to do at all.   As for replacement mirrors, you might consider a Mitsub eclipse mirror, it's the same size but have lights etc included.   Let me know if you want to look into me making you a new mount.

BEST replacement mirror ever. You literally can see all around you. Once you screw it in its solid. http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/1070279/1036/accessories/mirrors/rear_view_mirrors/?quantity=1 Its $25 you cant beat that. Ive been happy with it, only issue depending on your seats, it sits close to your head but its worth it.

This is true. For me not so much blinded but its very vague to see at night. You cant truly tell the distance or where the light is coming from. So pro is you see everything, con is you see everything lol. Still for me $25 was worth it, and I hardly drive the z at night.

Avernier,

The big issue with that mirror will be converting to a windshield mount as opposed to the factory roof mount. While actually using the windshield isn't difficult (although it may look awkward looking due to the lack of frit), removing the original mirror mount, which is integrated into the sun visor system will leave an obvious empty/unfinished area where the mirror arm used to attach.

Moving on...

Another possible option may be the Z32' mirror. I stumbled across a photo of one and was struck by how similar it is to the S30 piece. Unfortunately I haven't been able to compare them side by side, but if someone is able to pick one up reasonably priced to verify fitment, this may be a good option. Being 20 years younger and with hopefully better/more modern silvering techniques used in it's construction I'm thinking these may last a good bit longer than the S30 mirrors!

Z32 Mirror (Don't worry, it comes in black too)

_3_zps67f6ed22.jpg

S30 Mirror

_32_zpsd7320d9d.jpg