HybridZ

NAPS Intake Manifold

So I came across this manifold on ebay listed as "datsun intake manifold". When I looked at the pictures I saw it said NAPS computer system. I did a quick google search and found just a couple threads regarding this type of manifold found here:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/32764-naps-l28-intake-manifold-with-twin-butterfly-tb/

More regarding the twin butterfly:

http://forums.hybridz.org/topic/39280-p65-efi-intake-manifold/

I assumed it was very rare so I snatched it up.

The primary "smaller" throttle plate is about the size of a quarter, I'm going to remove the tb tomorrow and try to get some better measurements. If anyone can tell me anything else that would be great. I'm really excited about this manifold for some reason, I'm considering using over a nice shaved and polished n42!

IMG_6471_zps4ddbc45f.jpg

IMG_6472_zpsc4a944d6.jpg

IMG_6479_zps3afacc46.jpg

IMG_6474_zps427446e0.jpg

IMG_6480_zps78d3eba1.jpg

IMG_6478_zpsccc17fd6.jpg

Edited by ~KnuckleDuster~

It is a nice manifold; and it's for an L28. Many of those are for L20A's and have a dime sized primary throttle.

Clean it up, scrub it down, and replace the busted TPS, then find a NAPS wiring harness and computer and BAM!

Or remove the other bits and just use the manifold and the throttle body, and convert it to the ECCS or JECS control computer. Or a standalone, or, or, or.

It is a nice manifold; and it's for an L28. Many of those are for L20A's and have a dime sized primary throttle.

Clean it up, scrub it down, and replace the busted TPS, then find a NAPS wiring harness and computer and BAM!

Or remove the other bits and just use the manifold and the throttle body, and convert it to the ECCS or JECS control computer. Or a standalone, or, or, or.

Glad to know its l28. Just wish I knew how this and turbo would get along.

Nothing stateside will drive that IAC underneath. You can use MS with the PWM to run it.

No real performance gain. The dual butterfly is nice, it keeps manifold vacuum higher at normal highway speeds up to about 3/4 throttle. And when you step on it, that last 1/4 pedal travel opens the big plate fully.

I found I got markedly better fuel mileage using this throttle body than a stock 50mm TB or the aftermarket 60/65mm units.

Nothing stateside will drive that IAC underneath. You can use MS with the PWM to run it.

No real performance gain. The dual butterfly is nice, it keeps manifold vacuum higher at normal highway speeds up to about 3/4 throttle. And when you step on it, that last 1/4 pedal travel opens the big plate fully.

I found I got markedly better fuel mileage using this throttle body than a stock 50mm TB or the aftermarket 60/65mm units.

I'm not currently running an IAC so my idle sits a little high and warm up takes awhile but I'm used to it by now. As long as the performance isn't worse and it gives a better low end feel I'll be happy. I mostly cruise around town and take some spirited roads, just looking to improve throttle response, gas mileage, and of course just have something different.

that looks pretty cool.   Just the funky difference that it says NAPS Computer System on it is awesome!   They must be pretty rare for an L28, being that I've NEVER seen one before.  Of course Wiki-D not only has, but has even used one says a lot.  Having read a little about it, it stands for Nissan Anti-Pollution-System. It's a JDM system, though It would be interesting to figure if you actually get any performance increase or hit with it.  It's certainly something that people are going to ask about when you open your hood.

If you read the back of the 76-newer S30 (Fairlady Z) you will see the blue green "NAPS" badge.

Though the Fairlady Z never came with the manifold. They came on sedans like Cedric, Gloria, & Leopard.

The Fairlady Z's came with the TB, it fits on the standard manifold as well...

What, when you hogged it out for your 60mm T/B you never wondered why it was teardrop shaped and not simply match-ported round???

Edited by Tony D