HybridZ

Proper location of roll bar's cross bar/harness bar

RebekahsZ

I am mocking up to have a custom roll bar made.  I am using Kirkey seats with individual should belt holes in the back of the seat.  I have purchased an AutoPower adjustable seat back brace.  I have a chance to have the harness bar located where ever I like, so I'd like to get it right on the first try.  I have seen a lot of criticism directed at roll bars, but nobody ever posts pictures of their final placement, or one that gets committee approval. I only see pictures of setups that are done wrong.  It looks like the best location for the mounting the seat back brace is just below the shoulder belt holes.

My question:  Should the cross bar be located with the belts passing thru the middle of the shoulder belt holes, the base of the shoulder belt holes, or below the shoulder belt holes?  Or, do I use my shoulders as the reference for cross bar placement?

post-5903-0-59529800-1392006240_thumb.jpg

Edited by RebekahsZ

I believe the shoulder harnesses are supposed to be between level and 15 degrees upwards toward the seat. I would think if you can accomplish this with your harnesses resting on the seat and on the shoulders, you're golden. 

Edited by m1ghtymaxXx

As said above. The angle of the shoulder harness when tightened down on your shoulders should be within 15 degrees up or down of level. Some sanctioning bodies allow up to 30 degrees but the closer to level the safer and more effective the installation.

If you put it too low it could compress your spine in an accident, so keep that in mind.

Not true. If the holes in the seat are below the tops of your shoulders, then yes. The mounting location of the harness won't play into this if your seat fits properly.

Not true. If the holes in the seat are below the tops of your shoulders, then yes. The mounting location of the harness won't play into this if your seat fits properly.

That is also not true as you could deform an aluminum seat in an impact and therefore still leave you with harness issues. The lip around the shoulder harness holes should not be trusted for seat belt support. I would not let the harness touch the flimsy Al seats at all.

Perhaps we are trying to say the same thing, but shoulder straps should be level or sloping up as they move to bar. They should not be bent or deforming around seat holes. They could otherwise cause spinal issues. If the holes don't center around your shoulders then you probably need a different seat.

Edited by WizardBlack

Thank you! Still fighting seats but getting closer to ready.

I usually see that bars are located so the top of the bar is at or slightly above the top of the seat holes lest someone who is properly sized for that seat would nonetheless have a bad harness angle. Bar is usually 4~6 inches behind seat back.