HybridZ

Feeding My Addiction (turbo build)

As long as I can get the correct tac module tomorrow and a working map sensor this week (mine was bad). It should drivable this weekend. Your tune worked out great by the way just increased fuel by 10% above 2500 rpm and reduced timing to a none meth table so we will see. Might buy meth at some point though.

Scto looks like fun might have to make dom get one of his cars running and make a trip up there.

They run . One is not running because you robbed the intake off of it . :cry2: . And hurry up with my HP tuners so I play with it . :D

This and SunnyZ's build are a wealth of knowledge. I have been following this site for a very long time and glad I found your posts. I have a 260z that Im going to drop a 4.8 with a Turbonetics turbo in starting this month. I have printed out most of the How to's and redid the brakes, suspension, gauges and interior. The wife ok'd a new garage so I get to bring my Z home from a friends place so I can really start working on it.

The biggest debate I've had is about the transmission. I have a 4x4 4l70 laying around from my truck (did a 4l80 swap) that only has 28k on it. I know Ill have to swap the shaft and output housing on it but other then that its free and I have a 2800 stall. Or pony up a few grand for a TKO clutch and everything else. Do to the price the auto with a paddle shift setup from tci is sounding very appealing. 

On a side note I am a new welder and would like to buy one that is going to suit all my needs the first time. I see that Sunnyz bought a Miller 211 and your using a tig. Any feedback for a novice like mysef? I want to be able to put in patch panels, frame rails, weld the manifold v bands, and similar tasks.

I'm glad to see another turbo V8 Z car will be running around. Before to long no one will want to mess with a z car on the street. Ha ha

A mig will do all that you listed very well. Especially a Miller. I've always had great success with all Millers I've used. Lincoln's are also a good machine. Stainless and aluminum can be mig welded also but I think a TIG welder has a cleaner and more precise look for those two metals. That's just my opinion though. BTW I was using a Miller Econotig for my project.

Your thread is the basis for my setup. I am much cheaper than you and went with the ebay gt45 that all the sloppy mechanics have luck with. (If you dont know what sloppy mechanics is, get on facebook and look it up)

If you had to do it again what, if any thing, would you do differently?

What fittings did you use in your oil return? 45? 90? Your kit is beautiful. Very good job on a home made build, I love it!

Thanks so much for the kind words.

I'm not to sure what I would do differently. I haven't realy thought about that to much. What you see is mostly what I saw in my head. I guess one thing I would like to do differently is find a way to make the fan fit as a puller with a shroud. It runs about 10* to 15* warmer with the fan as a pusher. It's still in the recommended range but I like it when it ran 195* all the time. One thing I don't like is how hot the engine bay gets now. Even with the wrap it gets stupid hot. It's probably just a turbo thing and I'll have to get used to it. The fun factor does help negate the temps though.

For the turbo drain I used a 45* AN from the turbo down to a 90* AN to 3/8 npt fitting I purchased from a hydrolic hose shop. I like the steel npt fittings better than the aluminum ones just because of strength. I could see myself snapping off an aluminum one.

What size an? Im assuming -6 since you said 3/8 npt.

I used -10 fittings. -10 or -12 are recommended for gravity drains on turbos. 3/8 NPT (national pipe thread) is actually much bigger than it seems. Even though it labeled 3/8" it measures just over 5/8". I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it but it's the standard for tapered pipe threads. All the other sizes measure bigger also.

• 1 month later...