HybridZ

Anyone help a brother out to tell if my 260 is early or late?

Gonna keep it simple. Is my 260z early or late model and how do you tell?

Right. Another few points would be > Basic cut-off date was mid year such as 4-5/74'.

1)-deeper console tray.

2)-Extra styling line running across the dash.

3)-Bumber brackets are beefier than 240 and  bumper-ettes are fatter and all rubber outside. But retains earlier 240 simpler skinnier metal bumper.

4)-I believe the doors remained as 240 up until the actual 280 introduction which relocated the lock rod pulls and panel hole for it. Perhaps others can confirm who possess them?

4)-I believe the doors remained as 240 up until the actual 280 introduction which relocated the lock rod pulls and panel hole for it. Perhaps others can confirm who possess them?

I believe 260Zs got the 280Z style door panels, along with the rest of the 280Z interior. The lock pull change you're talking about only applies to 77 and 78 280Zs.

• 1 year later...

A bit of misinformation here. My early 260Z has a build date of 07/74. It has 240Z style front end (grill, turn signals, lower valence pieces). It had pistons on the bumpers front and back, but "slim style" bumpers. It has 240Z style suspension, a rear sway bar and an R180 differential. The interior and rear end styling are 280Z - or I should say that the 280Z inherited it's interior and rear end styling from the 260Z. My early 260Z has factory installed air conditioning and the redesigned dash, blower and venting arrangement that allowed that to happen. The door cards are not 240 style, they are the same from 1974 through 1976. My seat mounts are the same as the 240's. Those changed in '75 I believe (my son's '76 definitely has different seat mounts).

The interior of my "early" has small diamond pattern vinyl on the trans tunnel and carpet similar to the 240's. Not the full carpet of the 280.