HybridZ

what would you do?

sicripp83

hello everyone, long time lurker here,  I have a simple question of what would you do if you were in my situation.  I have been wanting a s30 for sometime.   I live in the northeast and they are not plentiful at all.   I currently own a nice 1986 foxbody mustang, needs work but its nice.   having built a house and having bills now,   should I build the mustang to potential or sell it and search for a s30.   iv tried to sell the mustang before with little luck.    what do you guys think   thanks josh

You're near my neck of the woods. 

An hour south or so.

But yeah, definitely go West. What New York publicly offers in terms of Z cars is NOT worth it...

I bought my car from California, and the condition of the body has saved me hundreds of dollars/hours in potential rust repairs. And that's after spending 1000 dollars to ship it. But man was it worth it.

I've since bought 2 New York specials.....The time wasted on rust repair so far on each is outrageous when compared to what's sitting relatively preserved in the Arizona desert, for likely around the same price.

Edited by OldAndyAndTheSea

Keep it, fly to Socal or arizona to get a cheap rust free runner, use the money that you probably would have dumped into rust repair for a car in your area to make the runner look nice. Then decide whats more fun.

Yep!

Fox body is one of several million out there. It ain't a commodity, drive it till the wheels fall off and during the winter while you work on the Z. By the time it returns to Mother Earth ... The Z should be ready.

Of course it sucks looking for a z there. I left SoCal and had a hard time finding anything here in fl. That's why I found my 240 sitting in phoenix with coilovers and a solid body with a swapped l28 and triples for $2500 no interior but that was already the plan, needs paint which is fine since I want a custom color. Needs wheels and flares and then id call it good. And that's still less than what I would have spent on a rusty running car here in fl. Its sitting in my uncles in his shed out back to protect it from the dust storms till I finish school.

Hi I'm new to this forum I got a rust free 79 280zx that I'm building got all the parts I need except probably the most important part. I need some help on where to find a l28et engine I hear you can find them cheap but I haven't been able to locate anything can some point me in the right direction

Dude, DON'T LOOK THERE!

Get a computer (!) start searching Craigslistings in SoCal, AZ, NM, West Texas.... Then take a road trip.

The costs for the trip will be less than what you pay for a 'rust free' example of NY Iron... and cover the costs of your trip!

I bought a Truck in Canfield OH last year. Drove is cross country. Ford dealer here asked about the 'serious cancer' it had... Now, we are talking 'rust bubbles' on the rear wheel arch and corner of the cab. Deriguer in The Rust Belt...but in SoCal, that's like "PASS ON THIS ONE IT'S GOT CANCER"

When the ad is in Victorville and says "Surface Rust" it doesn't mean "New York Surface Rust" where the paint looks like it has acne, and there are perforations and the panel turned rust brown.... it means the sun had baked off the paint and from 40 years exposure it now has the look of a plumb-brown barrel on an old musket. If that...it may be down to factory primer and there are flecks of brown showing. 

I got a 1958 L210 I just bought. It has been sitting in the guys back yard since 1972, and he's owned it for the last 60 years or so... It has what would be considered "Serious Cancer, in need of massive work" in So Cal. Granted, the chrome was crusty, peeling...but on the sheetmetal no perforations, no panel thinning. Just surface rust. Even the battery box was 'rusty' but I've seen 240's worse! Pretty amazing considering it hasn't moved since Nixon was last in office!

post-380-0-76925400-1393252934_thumb.jpg post-380-0-16550900-1393253235_thumb.jpg post-380-0-68840000-1393253315_thumb.jpg post-380-0-89622000-1393254982_thumb.jpg

For an example, this 1972 240Z below was listed as 'Has the typical old-car rust in the typical old car rusty spots. Needs work to bring it back." Compare this description to what you would expect to find in The Rust Belt near you! Would this 72 be worth $4K back East? How about with a Nissan Comp 5 Speed, LSD 3.90 R180, and a Fuel Injected Supercharged L28 in it.... Because that's what it went for in SoCal this past April. NOW is the time to look as all the losers with more ego than skills clean out the garage and decide that buying something built is better than  bodging it together with the 10 thumbs they possess! (Not the case for this car, but the point on this one was a guy in HOLLAND sent me the Craigslist ad while I was in BRUNEI and I struck a deal over the phone to come get it... That's a bit further away than NY! So if you say you 'can't find one' then YOU AREN'T LOOKING IN THE RIGHT PLACES!!!) The Rust in that third photo was so serious, the owner's agent took time to point it out to me specifically when I came to view the car (with my trailer in tow!) Bought from the original owner (in photo) who was selling it on behalf of her son who did all the mods between the time he was 18 and 49...

post-380-0-18331500-1393253792_thumb.jpg post-380-0-92080800-1393253941_thumb.jpg post-380-0-64268800-1393254324_thumb.jpg post-380-0-23860700-1393254606_thumb.jpg post-380-0-55591600-1393254719_thumb.jpg

I'll add this car was basically in the same shape in 1994....insofar as rust and paint goes. Maybe a little shinier, but I didn't polish it before photographing it.

Edited by Tony D