HybridZ

megasquirt ignition on a turbo 280zxt

So I'm having some problems, I am assembling a megasquirt 2 v3 controller and I have reach the point where I need to make a decision. I am stuck though because I'm not sure what type of ignition a stock 280zx has. Is it a hall/optical or a vr type. I just need to know how to build my controller to drive the ignition. Any help would be much appreciated. 

I can say 100% that an l28et is a hall type. I would assume, based on that, that Nissan reused the same distributor sensor in the non-turbo as well.

[EDIT] Incorrect(?), my research may have lied to me. Refer to NewZed's post.

Edited by Jesse OBrien

There's a lot of fuzzy information in this thread. All North American N/A EFI motors use some type of a VR sensor in the distributor. All L28et motors have a sensor that outputs a square wave signal, so they are hall/optical. The '81 L28et has a crank mounted toothed wheel with a VR sensor, but it has circuitry to clean and shape the signal so the output is identical to the 82-83 optical distributor. 

While the L28et uses a hall/optical type sensor, you still should select VR input. I think the benefit here is the VR circuitry has filters to clean up the signal. Just follow the DIYautotune guide that winstonusmc posted.

Or he could cruise over to the Megasquirt section of the Engine Components forums and get better answers.

And for all those who don't know, the "optical" option on the MS is to isolate a signal from the coil in Fuel Only mode. Really has nothing to do with actual sensors. All hall and VR sensors go through the "VR in" on the V3 board.

• Like 1

But they don't have to.  It's just easier.  They shouldn't have called that input option "VR In".  It's kind of misleading and limiting.

From Post #7 -  

• For a V3.57, you'd have to remove a lot of parts to use the Hall / optical input, so we'll just bring this in through the VR conditioner instead.

The problem for many with MS is that you really need to know a little bit about electronics to get through the literature.  Or just be a really good reader/comprehender.  Even then you have to make some of your own decisions for your own system.  Seems like a lot of fun though, from a project building view.

The OP never really said what stock system he was using anyway.

I'm not sure what type of ignition a stock 280zx has.

Do you have an engine yet?  Your title says 280ZXT, your first post says 280ZX.  Apparently the MS VR circuit will handle any of the possibilities, but if you're asking where the inputs come from you might be getting ahead of yourself.  Might be best to get the parts and figure out how to make them work or figure out what you want and get the parts.