HybridZ

Low Dust Brake Pads for Toyota 4x4 calipers?

Hello all,

Im wondering if anyone has found a good low-dust brake pad option for the Toyota 4x4 calipers.  I do not track my Z at all, so a street pad is more than alright, but I want something that is very low-dusting. Right now Im just using a set of generic semi-metallics which dust quite a bit. 

Some of my E55 and 'Vette buddies recommend Akebone (they say the closest to "no dust" theyve had), but it doesn't look like they make anything for the toyota calipers (though I did find a set for the maxima rear setup).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

I switched from cheap organic semi

metallic to to a cheap ceramic pad and it made a big difference on my S10 truck. Autozone replacement pads. I think they said ceramic gold on the box.

Unless someone can suggest something better, this may be what I end up doing as well

I run Hawks, almost no dust at all

Which Hawks?  

Edited by ryan95i4

I'm also interested in the answer to this question. I have the non-vented toyota fronts and I thought they would stop better. I use my car for autoX and cruising. They heve generic semi-metallics on there, and I was looking at getting some Hawk HPS but it looks like they don't make them for these brakes... at least according to tire rack. So the next best thing is just generic autozone ceramics?

EDIT

Nevermind, I found some on JCWhitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/1979-1994-toyota-pickup/hps-brake-pad-set/p3039768d2183y1979-1994j1.jcwx

Edited by osirus9

I ran HPS on my stock brakes and I hated them. Basically, they wouldn't stop the car. They didn't make much dust, but they didn't stop the car, so they were kind of pointless. I think they were made for low dust; I tried to use them for autocross and it was a disaster. I guess there is a trade-off: stopping vs. dustiness.

I ran HPS on my stock brakes and I hated them. Basically, they wouldn't stop the car. They didn't make much dust, but they didn't stop the car, so they were kind of pointless. I think they were made for low dust; I tried to use them for autocross and it was a disaster. I guess there is a trade-off: stopping vs. dustiness.

Dang... I literally just bought a complete set of Hawk HPS pads!

Well at least they won't be that dusty haha. 

Do you just use Autozone ceramics for autoX now?

No, I just scrapped the whole stock set up after the pain I had with the HPS pads.  Seriously, I stomped them until they were smoking hot and glazed but I could never get them to stop my car.  I did my damnedest to get them to bed, turned and hand sanded my rotors-everything.  They might be fine for street cruising, but they didn't stop my car well at all, and I have the cone stripes on my airdam and the orange rubber burned to my headers to show for it-I just plowed down wall after wall of cones on two separate race days-I had to use engine braking to slow down-on an autocross!!.  The race officials came over to me and tried to explain: "you know, you are supposed to go AROUND the cones, don't you?)   Now, for stock brakes, johnc recommended Porterfield R4S, and they were great; but you want to talk about dusty!  The front wheels needed a bath after every drive.   I currently have AZC brake kit newly installed so I can't really report on it yet.  I have the street pads that AZC supplies, which, according to Wilwood's brake pad dyno graphs, are pretty lame in comparison to their race pads.  But they are head and shoulders above the braking I had with those sorry HPS pads and I can tell  you that even on the maiden voyage without them bedded.  Street/production pads are engineered to last a long time, stay clean, stay quiet, not wear out rotors and stop the car eventually, if you are into that sort of thing.  Race pads are dusty, noisy, eat rotors and stop the car hard and fast.  Its all a trade off.  Once winter mods are done, I plan to order a couple sets of Wilwood pads from the dyno chart they have on line and give a review to the forum.

Edited by RebekahsZ

Yea I hear ya on the brakes sucking. That's why I did the toyota upgrade. Still my results are lackluster. Better than stock, but not by a lot. So I'm giving these hawks a shot. If they suck, I'll probably try whatever the nicest ceramic pad autozone has, and if THAT sucks, I'll suck it up and spend like $2k and get a real big break kit front and rear like you RebekahsZ.

As for dust, if people are interested I'll try to remember to report back my experiences with these pads. If it stops being winter ever... and if my car ever gets back from the body shop!

Concur with RebekasZ.  

Over the last ten years I have tried KVR, Hawk HPS and Porterfield R4S pads. Low dust, but they did not stop the car especially on the first application when cold.

I am now using Axxis Ultra pads on my solid Toyota front and 240SX rear brakes. They have excellent cold bite and a very linear feel from first application to making hard stops.

They dust a little, but so what. The idea is to stop the car.

See:  http://forums.hybridz.org.prx2.unblocksit.es/index.php/topic/116740-axxis-ult-pads/