HybridZ

R200 short nose VLSD into a long nose r200

Ylo73z

I have a open r200 long nose with 3.91 gears and I have a r200 short nose with a VLSD ..I want to swap in the VLSD in to the long nose r200 ..will the swap work ? What power could it handle ? Would I be better off just getting a aftermarket LSD ? Sorry about all the questions

I have a open r200 long nose with 3.91 gears and I have a r200 short nose with a VLSD ..I want to swap in the VLSD in to the long nose r200 ..will the swap work ? What power could it handle ? Would I be better off just getting a aftermarket LSD ? Sorry about all the questions

This has been covered, but I'll bite.

Sure you can mount the VLSD into your Long nose, but it's then finding shafts that will work with that carrier that is the hard part. The VLSD center typically uses one shaft that actually has an extension stub that engages into the LSD section. Without it you won't get any limited slip action.

You are not able to use the VLSD stock stub axles either since you have no way of adapting them to your 4 bolt half-shafts.

Read the Drivetrain FAQ thread.

Ok got it ...I was reading up and I saw the stub axle issues ...but I'll need to upgrade those as well to handle the power I will be making ...can I get custom stub axles ? I was also looking at the wolf creek CV axles ......what would be the best way to go about making my rear end stand up to a v8 with a trans brake on slicks

Long nose r200 CLSD's are only in the z31 300zx turbos from 87-89. They will run you about $800-1000 depending on where you get it, or if you get lucky you can find it in a junkyard. 

For that price I would put a little extra down and get the OS giken. What are you using this for? if it's mostly drag and rarely a street car I'd say just weld it. 

I was thinking about welding it but one of my 12-15 junkyard rear ends I've gone through over the years , I spent money on ..had it rebuilt , had the carrier welded ...it lasted 10 miles and broke a tooth off the pinion ...ever since then I have just been swapping in a junkyard unit every 2-3 months .

It's mainly for track but I do cruise it around a decent amount