HybridZ

Yoak - 240z

Greetings all!

It's been forever since I have really posted anything here. Several moves, and lack of time and funds for a project will do that to you I suppose. Anyway, I finally decided to resume my 240Z project. I had started on it in California, and had to move several times and just did not have the time, money, or place to do anything with it (I am now on the East Coast). I should also state that I have a 280ZXR that also made this entire dilemma a bit more complicated as I have been working on it off and on throughout this moves and it was always a simpler project then the 240 was ever going to be. A three week tear down ended up taking several years, but that is another story.  In hindsight I should have really posted that project on here, but for whatever reason I never go to it (It is on my website however).

Anyway, I am posting some early (boring) pictures of the 240. I will post the base images here and the additional ones on my site. They will get more interesting, and currently lag behind my current progress.

Current Goals: Restore undercarriage of car. For the rust hole areas, I am cutting out the bad and then painting/protecting them until I can come back and fix them later. I realized this past winter if I did not do something this summer that things were going to start getting really bad. So it looks like I am going to have to make friends with someone who can weld, or learn how to.

MG 1201

MG 1199

MG 1197

MG 1189

http://www.doitinadatsun.com/yoak/2014/04/240z-it-begins/

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some early picture of the driver's side fender area before I started any major cleanup:

MG 1281

MG 1273

MG 1261

MG 1255

Note: the rust on this picture just above the frame rail was quite a bit worse then the picture may indicate. It had rusted away from behind and I have since cut most of this out. This will be shown in up coming pictures.

Additional Pictures here:http://www.doitinadatsun.com/yoak/2014/04/240-z-front-fender-removal/

Edited by Yoak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MG 1416

MG 1424

MG 1429

Photos Taken 4/19/2014

I now have a sand blaster that is making things much easier! Note that the holes on the frame area will be repaired later, the current goals were to cleanup/stop things from getting worse. Sadly I do have a welder to attempt the repairs myself.

More Photos: http://www.doitinadatsun.com/yoak/2014/05/240z-front-drivers-side-fender-area-paint-i/

• 1 month later...
I haven't had a chance to post anything in some time but I have made progress on the 240. This is going to be a bit of a double update:

Painted Fender Area:

MG 1448

MG 1435

MG 1433

Photos Taken 4/20/2014

Door Area, Rear Fender well area (rust damage)

MG 1477

MG 1476

MG 1456

MG 1455

MG 1454

Photos Taken 4/21/2014

• 3 weeks later...

Progess has slowed a bit as I have been working on getting the 280ZXR back together. With the 280ZX out of the way, I am now focussing on the 240z again. Pictured below is some progress from the floor board and rear axle area (drivers side).

MG 0716

MG 1484

MG 1563

MG 1714

Photos Taken 4/26/2014, 5/7/2014 & 5/8/2014

More Photos:

http://www.doitinadatsun.com/yoak/2014/07/240z-drivers-side-arearear-axle-area/

• 2 months later...

Here is some progress on the rear passanger side of the 240z.  Rust damage only in the lower fender well area...everything else is much better then expected.

MG 2206

MG 2852

MG 2905

MG 2906

MG 2917

MG 2918

*Repost per site server crash
Pictures Taken in June/July '14
Edited by Yoak

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies, to answer a few questions.

I have actually gone through a few blasters on this project before settling on one.

Initially, I  started the project with a small handheld blaster called a from Eastwood called a Speed Blaster.  This was more or less my way of qualifying that I could do the work before moving into a larger blaster. For the price, the handheld blaster  was nice, and great for small jobs but not great for things under the car as the nozzle needs to be pointed at a downward direction to work.

The vast majority of this project has been done with an East Wood 50Lbs pressurized sand blaster. Most of the blasters are made by the same company but just have a different name on them, but at the time East Wood had a great sell going on so I ended up with them. The blaster has been good, but has had it's share of issues and seems to go through nozzles fairly quickly is my only major complaint.

With sand, I initially started with East Wood's  40/70 fine sand/glass. I had great results but don't but it...it is way over priced and you can generally find something locally for way cheaper. I also tried ordering some sand from Home Depot site called Black bull which was to way to fine. Black Diamond (Fine) is what I ended up using, which I was able to get locally for around $6.00 a bag. If you can find it, it is great, and does not kick up as much dust as the East Wood brand and is only $6.00 a bag vs $30.00 + shipping.

The only other suggestions I would make for anyone attempting this is to get a strainer so that you can clean and reuse sand and obviously by aware that it gets everywhere...I ruined my garage door opener on this project...but it was worth it :)