HybridZ

What is the best weatherstrip kit?

Datsv8r

I would really like to buy a kit with everything in it. What is the best kit. Or should I just piece it together? I have been reading the posts about the good and bad aspects of the most popular kits. What do you guys think? I am starting to really clean up my 77' and getting ready for the v8 swap. This summer will be busy!

I used the Precision kit and found it to be very complete.  Some of the little door pieces were not in the kit but it included all the major weatherstrip for the whole car.  I think you can find it for arround $250.  http://precisionrestorationparts.com/catalog.html 

According to their web site the kit contains:  

• Windshield Weatherstrip Seal - WCR 241
  • Cowl Panel Weatherstrip Seal - 66321 E4100
  • Front Door Opening Weatherstrip Seal, Right Hand - 76801 N4600
  • Front Door Opening Weatherstrip Seal, Left Hand - 76802 N4600
  • Outer Quarter Window Weatherstrip Seal Right or Left Hand - 76834 E4101 x 2
  • Inner Quarter Window Weatherstrip Seal Right or Left Hand - 76836 E8200 x 2
  • Hatch Outer Upper Weatherstrip Seal - 76910 N3000
  • Hatch Outer Side Weatherstrip Seal Right or Left Hand x 2 - 76911 N3000
  • Hatch Inner Weatherstrip Seal - 76912 N4500
  • Upper Door Weatherstrip Seal Right Hand - 80810 N4520
  • Upper Door Weatherstrip Seal Left Hand - 80811 N4520
  • Door To Fender Seal, Right Hand - 80931 N4501
  • Door To Fender Seal, Left Hand - 80932 N4501
  • Lower Door Weatherstrip Seal Right or Left Hand - 80935 E4101
  • Rear Window Weatherstrip Seal - 90305 E4100

Their old kit had problems with the door weatherstrip being to thick so you had to slam the door but I think that is now corrected. 

Both Precision kits I've used had the 1977-1978 weatherstrip...very thick...too thick for the earlier cars. I used the Mcmaster-carr weatherstripping after trying five different types locally and for the first time in three years, it's poured rain all day and all night last night and not a drop of water in the car.

Thanks guys. I will probably order th BD kit. I am working with a very tight budget. Seems the least expensive. I wonder if we could get a list of all the jy parts some are using in their rides. All the info in one place, sort of. I am putting most of my budget into the motor so I am trying to be frugal, not cheap, about the rest.

I understand what you mean, nothing wrong with being frugal. Things can get really expensive depending on how far you are willing to go on a build. One thing I have found out when buying parts for S30's is you get what you pay for. If something is cheap price wise then most likely the quality is just not there. I have bought and used the Black Dragon Weatherstrip kit, it does work however exhaust fumes still come in to the cabin therefore it does not seal properly.

If you are buliding a racer then who cares about fumes. I'm bulding a street/show car with A/C therefore fumes in the cabin is a major no no for me. That's why I opted for the vintage rubber kit. I have not installed it yet so I don't know how much better it is but I have seen it used on high end restorations and they claim it fits just like factory parts.

I do agree with you, I would put most of my money on the motor as well, that's defenetely a place not to cut corners.

Good luck on you build.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...