HybridZ

camshaft issue?

m rebuilding and ran into s predicament. After using lucas semi synthetic lube for the cam install, I thought it would spin smoothly...butbit doesnt, takes some effort to spin. Any ideas on whata going on? My rockers are still in boxes, so nothing is blocking the cam. Heres a short video of the problem. Thanks for your help ahead of time

Did you try loosening all the mounts and re tightening? maybe some are slightly out of alignment.  is that assy lube very viscous? if it's like grease it could just need to be warmed up and replaced with the oil when the engine is running.  at this point turning smoothly is more important than too tight a fit. Does it loosen much when the mounts are loosened?  may be cam is slightly bent?

Did you try loosening all the mounts and re tightening? maybe some are slightly out of alignment. is that assy lube very viscous? if it's like grease it could just need to be warmed up and replaced with the oil when the engine is running. at this point turning smoothly is more important than too tight a fit. Does it loosen much when the mounts are loosened? may be cam is slightly bent?

The lube is very viscous, almost tacky like. What I can donis get my heat gone and warm it up a bit. Or move my table in the sun a bit since its very hot today and see if the cam turns easier from warmed up semi synthetic lube. The cam towers havent been removed, I got the head from a member on here. I just had it cleaned then reinstalled the valve train.

Cam towers could be binding it a bit, it is hard to tell from your video, and I am sure others will chime in and give more direction.

Have you removed the bolts to the cam towers for any reason?

Nope. But I can try after warming up the lube and see if that makes a difference.

I followed the half half procedure (half motor oil, half assembly lube) if you just used assembly lube it may very well be the cause. It doesn't look that bad at all though, if you can spin it with just one hand.  If you removed the towers, could you do a quick check and see that they are in order? The order that the towers are mounted are stamped on the side, make sure they go back into the right spot.

It seemed to be better yesterday, it was really hot outside so in the garage it was quiet warm.  I think it is the assembly lube, I may just add a bit of regular oil and see if thats the case.  I was kind of freaking out since I wasn't sure how smooth it should be spinning, and I was originally trying to spin it without the cam sprocket, it was more difficult trying to spin a cam with a slightly greasy hand.  

It seemed to be better yesterday, it was really hot outside so in the garage it was quiet warm.  I think it is the assembly lube, I may just add a bit of regular oil and see if thats the case.  I was kind of freaking out since I wasn't sure how smooth it should be spinning, and I was originally trying to spin it without the cam sprocket, it was more difficult trying to spin a cam with a slightly greasy hand.