HybridZ

Brake booster reaction disk

2eighTZ4me

Anyone have an old brake booster lying in the scrap heap that I can pillage the reaction disk from? Mine is lost in the booster. I had my fingers on it - but missed it and now it's dropped 'somewhere' in the booster and appears to be stuck somewhere. I bang and shake and can't hear it anymore. I know it didn't drop out - and pulling the booster apart doesn't look like a fun job. Shipping to 30044.

Anyone have an old brake booster lying in the scrap heap that I can pillage the reaction disk from? Mine is lost in the booster. I had my fingers on it - but missed it and now it's dropped 'somewhere' in the booster and appears to be stuck somewhere. I bang and shake and can't hear it anymore. I know it didn't drop out - and pulling the booster apart doesn't look like a fun job. Shipping to 30044.

You don't want to play with brakes,and a booster with a part floating around in there, most folks won't do that. Purchase a good brake booster = safety. Just good advice.

Leon - you have a tremendous grasp of the obvious - and apparently the 'not-so-obvious' as well. That's a great idea. I'll try that when I get home tonight. Roger - if that doesn't work - I'll hit you up man!

Good luck!

:)

Edited by Leon

I made a reaction disk from a rubber stopper of the correct diameter and thickness (approx 6mm).  Just take the push rod to the hardware store and match it to a rubber stopper. Cut a 6mm thick section off the end of the stopper and JB Weld  it to the push rod. Shape the stopper with sand paper to match the diameter of the push rod.

It looks and functions like the original reaction disk.

My trick to getting the reaction disc out is to shake the booster until the reaction disc is to one side, usually it goes with gravity, so the bottom. ;) Then using a rag and place it in the booster through the pushrod hole. Flip the booster around so that the reaction disc lands on the rag and you can retrieve it. 

I spent about 20 minutes trying without the rag, it took me literally 5 seconds once the rag was installed to retrieve the reaction disc. I would keep seeing it float past the pushrod hole, taunting me. lol