HybridZ

2jz in 280ZX

All3n

ive seen the 2jz dropped into 280z and 240z, but can it be dropped into the 280ZX just as easily?

i see this mount kit dosent mention ZX, so i assume the bay is a little different, can anyone 

chime in and let me know if i can use this kit to mount it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-240Z-260Z-2JZ-Swap-Kit-Made-USA-/230950856220?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35c5be661c

If you can wait a month, a guy on here is going to start making and selling engine mounts for about $400.

I would not spend a grand for a mount kit. If you can make your own or fab up your own engine mounts, that would be even better.

On a side note, I hope you do a lot of searching about this total swap, it is not cheap to do. $5k to 7k. If you don't have to worry about the costs then go for it and enjoy.

I have the tech2 kit in your above post. Its a little high price but its build strong and by the time you ass up the costs to have something professionally build it cheaper. Drive shaft will cost you over 300 for example. Best to call Tech2 and see if it will fit.

I'm starting my swap in a week. My setup should be coming in around $4500 for the swap Will be a Aristo 2JZ GTE VVTI, R154, stock everything with stock ecu. Car will be boosted to 17 PSI,

Just to clarify a bit, my main concern is if the 280z and 280zx Engine bays and mounts are the same.

Also, Dexter, can you post up his username here?

Second Edit: I see that ebay mount kit is for a 240, so my real question is the 240 and 280ZX mounts in the same location?

Edited by All3n

Cross member is not the same, and if memory serves the frame rails are not the same

If I recall, the reason Ryan Merrill got the tech2 kit was the original buyer had a 280zx and not a 280z which is why he resold it to Ryan.

The original buyer speculatively listed the modifications needed to the kit to install in a 280zx, it was quite a bit of work, you would be better off with a one off.

The kit dexter is referring to will also most likely not work as it is meant for a 240-280z. A similar style could be used to fabricate a mount pretty easily.

Just wanted to set you on the right path.

Cross member is not the same, and if memory serves the frame rails are not the same

If I recall, the reason Ryan Merrill got the tech2 kit was the original buyer had a 280zx and not a 280z which is why he resold it to Ryan.

The original buyer speculatively listed the modifications needed to the kit to install in a 280zx, it was quite a bit of work, you would be better off with a one off.

The kit dexter is referring to will also most likely not work as it is meant for a 240-280z. A similar style could be used to fabricate a mount pretty easily.

Just wanted to set you on the right path.

Thanks for clarifying for me, and yes that correct. He bough a S30 kit and owned a S130 and it wouldn't work. Just checked my emails.

Edited by Ryan Merrill

I have a 280zx 83' and I saw these kits but they were just out of my budget, fortunately I found a workshop who was familiar with z's and 2jz engines and custom fabbed the mounts.

He charged me about $100, I'm not from the states so i dont know how much a shop would charge you there.

Here's a pic of the engine if you're interested.

IMG_20140305_152920.jpg

but thats an old pic, im upgrading the turbo and a bunch of stuff atm :P but just to give you a rough idea even custom fabbed mounts work well :D

I'm using the R154 5 speed manual transmission.

I'm not familiar with the english terms, but if shifter arm means how I got the gear stick in the stock hole of the 280zx, It didnt fit I had to trim it a bit to make it fit.

this is an old pic as well of the interior I hope its clear x.x its the only one I got 

IMG_3987.jpg

• 4 years later...

I have a very embarrassing question. I’m broke and trying to make dreams come true for the cheapest so ... has anyone ever put a r154 bellhousing on a stock 79-280ZX tranny? I have at auto r154 and a 5 speed 71b I think 

any hate is fine just trying to do what I can