HybridZ

L28et ECU questions

nolander001

I've bought a l28et and it came without the wiring harness or the ecu, im told it was an early 80's jdm 280zx, Its going into a 75 280. Future plans are to stick a bigger turbo on it, probably a t3/t4 kinda thing, i wanna get around 300-350 hp. Question is could I find a stock ecu for the engine or should I be looking to upgrade to a aftermarket one like megasquirt? I dont know a lot of about aftermarket ecus, so please point me in the right direction. Also where do you go to buy ecus like megasquirt? or wiring harness, since ill be needing one of those as well.

There are a couple or more good threads in the link below.  People have made the turbo engines work in other cars with everything from the stock 280Z EFI system and a rising rate FPR, 300ZX ECU swaps, Pathfinder ECU swaps, up to aftermarket EMS, like Megasquirt.  The Ultimate L28ET Guide... thread is probably the best for you.

http://forums.hybridz.org/forum/90-l-series/

DIYAutotune is the place for Megasquirt - https://www.diyautotune.com/

Edited by NewZed

There should be lots of threads you can find on this particular question.  My advice is: don't waste time with stock engine management in your situation.  Start with something you can tune.  Which?  That discussion is endless....  Start reading.

The only way I'd say go the stock harness route is if you can get it all for really cheap and just need the motor to run. Otherwise I recommend against it. It can be made to run decently, but I've struggled so much with rewiring and fixing things just to get it to run decently.