HybridZ

Front oil seal

BlueStag

For those following my tales of woe, the flex plate between my L6 and Maxima 4sp autobox was indeed cracked.

I managed on Sat to extract it from my Triumph Stag, 3 hours, no injuries to personnel, car or engine.

I was hoping to have it back on the road by next Sat, but I am having trouble bamboozling anyone to come help by Wednesday to stuff it back in the car.   I figure I need a minimum of two days to put it back together.

So, now that I have it out: it is obvious that the front seal has been the culprit in spraying oil all over the place.

I'll have to go find my Honzowitz, but I'll ask you:   What the hell is entailed in changing the front seal?   I assume that I am committed to pulling of the chain cover.    Meaning pulling distributor and oil pump?    Just how much of a pain is that?

Strangely, I DO have an engine stand to put it up on, so I won't need to be squatting as I do this gig.

Geeze, is it a mess.....

post-21407-0-71901400-1407796426_thumb.jpg

post-21407-0-30952000-1407796487_thumb.jpg

Can't you just pull the seal from outside, like you would most other seals?  Remove the crank damper, pry the seal out, press a new one in/on.  Protect the edge of the seal from sharp edges when installing.  Never done it, but the manual just says "press new oil seal in" to the timing cover.

Can't you just pull the seal from outside, like you would most other seals?  Remove the crank damper, pry the seal out, press a new one in/on.  Protect the edge of the seal from sharp edges when installing.  Never done it, but the manual just says "press new oil seal in" to the timing cover.

From your lips to gawds ears.

I was just out front chatting with my neighbor the machinist, and he told me as much.

Does anyone have experience with this?

I've done it by removing the pulley, using a seal pulling hook, and installing with a custom-cut piece of square-cut Black ABS sewer pipe which I've written "Datsun Front Seal Installer" in green paint marker so it works properly...

I see you have at least two helpers, one to document via photos you working, and another to impress upon others that you indeed are doing the work! Four would seem to be a crowd! ;)

I've done it by removing the pulley, using a seal pulling hook, and installing with a custom-cut piece of square-cut Black ABS sewer pipe which I've written "Datsun Front Seal Installer" in green paint marker so it works properly...

I see you have at least two helpers, one to document via photos you working, and another to impress upon others that you indeed are doing the work! Four would seem to be a crowd! ;)

Hey Tony,

Hope to see you again soon.   Possibly the day you are dropping off a sound ZX Turbo motor for installation in my Stag.

Just because you want to, you understand....