HybridZ

Best way to find vaccum leak?

Guest Philanthr0py

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Carb cleaner when the car is running, youll hear the engine miss when the car cleaner gets in the intake. Nice ride Greimann....

Guest Anonymous

Cheap propane torch from home depot. DO NOT LIGHT!! Turn on gas and pass over suspect places. When you hear the engine speed up you have found the area of the leak. DON'T LIGHT THE TORCH!! Mark

Guest Philanthr0py

What's the best procedure you guys use to find vaccum leaks? A friend told me to spray carb cleaner on the lines and find bubbles? Is there a better way to do this?

You won't see bubbles because it's not blowwing, it's vaccuum. The spray idea works best for gasket leak checks. For tubing leak checks, process of elimination works best. Get a few vaccuum caps from the parts store and plug the manifold one line at a time until you hear the motor's sound change.

Might be a quicker way, but that's always what I've used.

Tim

BTW, if you suspect you vaccuum lines, just replace them. Vaccuum tubing is cheap!

Guest greimann

The best way is to use an ultrasonic leak detector, about $300 from industrial supply catalogs. A little pricey for the home hobbiest though.

I use one of those stethescopes with just a plain tube in the end so you can zero in on the noise.

All very good ideas. I used the home made stethoscope. I could even hear the vacum but was unable to pin-point it because of all the other engine noise, and it was kind-of in an odd place(well odd to me anyways), right under the TB.

Just dont cut the garden hose. Wives don't seem to like it when we do that.

I would have to second the propane torch method. It has worked very well for me in the past.

DON`T LIGHT THE TORCH!

What I usually do is remove the tip from the torch head, and slip a long piece of vacume hose onto the brass tube.

The hose allows you to get in and around tight places, without have to invert the propane bottle which could cause variations in gas flow.